FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Catholic church's Stance on Evolution and Noahs Flood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am looking for the official stance of the catholic church on evolution, the big bang, and noahs flood. Was the flood symbolic? local? or global? is evolution true? was their a big bang?

Thanks.
The Catholic Church does not have any position regarding matters not related to faith or morals. The Catholic Church has expressed that the big bang, evolution, and similar theories are not contradictory to the faith and thus may be believed but one is not required to do so. Most theologians considered Noahs flood to be local but there is no official stance.

The big bang theory was actually invented by a Catholic priest.
Thanks.
(04-20-2018, 05:48 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]The Catholic Church does not have any position regarding matters not related to faith or morals. The Catholic Church has expressed that the big bang, evolution, and similar theories are not contradictory to the faith and thus may be believed but one is not required to do so. Most theologians considered Noahs flood to be local but there is no official stance.

So i was thinking. Is it an official theological stance that their is no contradiction? or simply you can believe in both if you wish?
The False theory of Evolution spread among the faithful in schools and universities has done untold damage to the Church and given it's enemies false science to undermine the Biblical historic accounts. As for Noah's Flood , it happened, every tribe in the world has a great flood story(a coincidence) and look how the raging waters carved out the Grand Canyon and other worldwide wonders, not to mention the finding of fish fossils on top of mountains, those mountains had to be covered with water for fish to be buried rapidly as a Great Flood would do. Last i heard fish don't hike up mountains.
(04-20-2018, 05:53 PM)1stvermont2ndvermont3rdvermont Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-20-2018, 05:48 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]The Catholic Church does not have any position regarding matters not related to faith or morals. The Catholic Church has expressed that the big bang, evolution, and similar theories are not contradictory to the faith and thus may be believed but one is not required to do so. Most theologians considered Noahs flood to be local but there is no official stance.

So i was thinking. Is it an official theological stance that their is no contradiction? or simply you can believe in both if you wish?

Well science cannot contradict theology in the same sense that science cannot prove the Trinity and the doctrine of the Trinity which we know to be true tells us nothing of the orbital patterns of Mars. 

You can believe in whatever scientific theory you want as long as you believe all that the Catholic teaches. 

Whats more important, the length of time in which God created the Earth or the very fact that God created the Earth?
(04-20-2018, 06:35 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]The False theory of Evolution spread among the faithful in schools and universities has done untold damage to the Church and given it's enemies false science to undermine the Biblical historic accounts. As for Noah's Flood , it happened, every tribe in the world has a great flood story(a coincidence) and look how the raging waters carved out the Grand Canyon and other worldwide wonders, not to mention the finding of fish fossils on top of mountains, those mountains had to be covered with water for fish to be buried rapidly as a Great Flood would do. Last i heard fish don't hike up mountains.

Agreed, in fact in catholic schools it is taught. I was just looking for the offical stance from the church on the subject. I will eventually be doing creation/evolution threads here and one on noahs flood.
The Catholic Church has never taken an official position explicitly on the Big Bang or evolution. All of the statements favorable to the Big Bang hypothesis or evolution have been made in a non-authoritative context. On the other hand, there is a large body of extremely authoritative teaching that upholds the fiat creation of all things and, rightly expounded, excludes Big Bang cosmology and biological evolution. The only official permission that the Magisterium has given in the encyclical letter of Pope Pius XII Humani generis was permission for Catholic scholars to examine the evidence for and against the evolutionary hypothesis, not to believe or teach it. However, just as papal permission to allow discussion of birth control was interpreted by most Western Bishops as permission to practice it, so permission to discuss evolution was perceived as permission to believe and teach theistic evolution. The difference is that the true Catholic doctrine of creation is waiting for its Humanae Vitae moment--which must come, because God cannot contradict Himself.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please read the article "The Traditional Doctrine of Creation" on the Kolbe website for an introduction to the authoritative teaching of the Church on creation.

Yours in Christ through the Immaculata,

Hugh Owen
I recommend looking through the Kolbe Center's information: www.kollbecenter.org

Evolution--taught to most of us even in the Catholic schools--was an effort to diminish God as creator.  Although the Church seems to be reluctant to officially go against this 'science',  the traditional stance is from Genesis.  The flood can be explained.  And the world most likely is not billions of years old nor are we 'evolved' from a big bang or apes or anything like that.  Souls have been on the earth for about 6000 years.
(04-20-2018, 05:34 PM)1stvermont2ndvermont3rdvermont Wrote: [ -> ]I am looking for the official stance of the catholic church on evolution, the big bang, and noahs flood. Was the flood symbolic? local? or global? is evolution true? was their a big bang?

Thanks.

Doesn't seem like you're ignorant of the Church's teaching.

Does seem like you're looking to troll.
Pages: 1 2 3 4