FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: dwindling vocation question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We often hear of the dwindling number of vocations, and our Parish prays every Sunday for vacations, as do many parishes on a regular basis.... With such a small number of people being ordained or joining the convent, why do we still have contemplatively orders? Wouldn't those priests/monks and cloistered nuns do better service in local parishes? Several parishes are combining in our area, granted, they use the reduced number of regular parishioners as a reason to combine parishes, but one of the biggest reasons is because the lack of priests to minister to multiple parishes. You can only stretch a person so thin before they start to crack. Wouldn't some of the contemplatively orders better serve the church in general by taking on a parish? Or am I over simplifying things?
I think you are oversimplifying. The contemplative life is a vocation. Requiring contemplatives to serve in Parishes would rapidly kill the contemplative Orders. And there is no shortage of vocations in reality. What there is is a lack of men choosing to be celibate social workers in collars. A man can be a social worker and get married and have a fulfilling life helping others. Why would he choose the Priesthood? 

In Dioceses, such as Lincoln, where the Catholic Faith is actually taught and our seminary produces sacrificing Priests, we have no lack of vocations. Our Sisters are habited and we have no lack of vocations. The Traditional Institutes have no lack of vocations. It's not a lack of vocations, it's a total misrepresentation in most Dioceses of what a vocation to the Priesthood or Religious life is.
(04-24-2018, 12:36 AM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: [ -> ]We often hear of the dwindling number of vocations, and our Parish prays every Sunday for vacations, as do many parishes on a regular basis.... With such a small number of people being ordained or joining the convent, why do we still have contemplatively orders? Wouldn't those priests/monks and cloistered nuns do better service in local parishes? Several parishes are combining in our area, granted, they use the reduced number of regular parishioners as a reason to combine parishes, but one of the biggest reasons is because the lack of priests to minister to multiple parishes. You can only stretch a person so thin before they start to crack. Wouldn't some of the contemplatively orders better serve the church in general by taking on a parish? Or am I over simplifying things?
Peace.....yes, the contemplative vocation is a vocation of its own and to ask someone to live a vocation that they are not called to, such as an active one is not the way to go.  I agree with some, there is more flexibility but with others, no.  Having said that, there was a time not too long ago, where Bishops did recognize the help being needed in parishes and asked some in contemplative orders to come out and help - i know of Carmelites, Franciscans and this would be priests & nuns.  As I said, some could accommodate the request/order, while others could not.  In my own calling, I have to have a balance because I find the active life, if it starts to take over too much, can be draining for me - I need the quiet and reflection time, the reading of scripture/prayers etc.  I have worked in various parish ministries that are demanding, but I always need to set the balance.  I know others who get their energy from others and find being with people, conversation etc very life-giving.  I guess that says it - one's vocation has to be life-giving not life-draining. I think too, if more people are being called to contemplative life at this time, it's a sign from God that more prayer is needed - prayer is the soul of the Church!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(04-24-2018, 12:36 AM)catholicschoolmom Wrote: [ -> ]We often hear of the dwindling number of vocations, and our Parish prays every Sunday for vacations, as do many parishes on a regular basis.... With such a small number of people being ordained or joining the convent, why do we still have contemplatively orders? Wouldn't those priests/monks and cloistered nuns do better service in local parishes? Several parishes are combining in our area, granted, they use the reduced number of regular parishioners as a reason to combine parishes, but one of the biggest reasons is because the lack of priests to minister to multiple parishes. You can only stretch a person so thin before they start to crack. Wouldn't some of the contemplatively orders better serve the church in general by taking on a parish? Or am I over simplifying things?

Peace.....I should have mentioned that I heard recently, 17% of homeschooled males are entering the priesthood and starting to discern the priesthood at age 16yrs. (Traditional) God bless, angeltime :heart:
Honestly, I'm not sure that a contemplative religious would be suited for the role of a priest. They're so opposite of each other.
(04-24-2018, 11:30 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I'm not sure that a contemplative religious would be suited for the role of a priest. They're so opposite of each other.
Peace.....and yet....I know a diocesan priest who was a Trappist Monk for 12 yrs and when several changes started coming into the picture, he requested to leave and became diocesan.  He is a wonderful priest, and his parish was soooooo prayerful - he joined in on all prayers and novenas etc....and also preached his homilies in a serious manner not rushing or joking.  He is almost 90 now and retired but still active in a prayer group and travels to shrines!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
Unless a person is convinced that the Catholic Church was established by JESUS himself and as the dogma states "There is NO Salvation outside the Catholic Church"  why be a priest , unless the 7 Sacraments are the way to Heaven, if you believe otherwise then all is relative which is what the enemies of JESUS want you to believe.
With the loss of so many contemplatives, the whole world has felt the loss even if that loss is not recognized.  The  prayers and penances of contemplatives are like gas in an engine and are desperately needed. And they are being persecuted now by the modernist church.

Also the vocation to the contemplative life is a special vocation that is different than an "active" vocation.  They are, of course, active in a different way.

The contemplatives cannot just be turned out of their friaries, abbeys, and convents and be expected to take up the "active" life in the world; they are lost without their true vocation.  

May God protect His holy contemplatives!

Ave Maria!
(04-24-2018, 01:23 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I think you are oversimplifying. The contemplative life is a vocation. Requiring contemplatives to serve in Parishes would rapidly kill the contemplative Orders. And there is no shortage of vocations in reality. What there is is a lack of men choosing to be celibate social workers in collars. A man can be a social worker and get married and have a fulfilling life helping others. Why would he choose the Priesthood? 

In Dioceses, such as Lincoln, where the Catholic Faith is actually taught and our seminary produces sacrificing Priests, we have no lack of vocations. Our Sisters are habited and we have no lack of vocations. The Traditional Institutes have no lack of vocations. It's not a lack of vocations, it's a total misrepresentation in most Dioceses of what a vocation to the Priesthood or Religious life is.

do you not see the contradictions in your words?

and for one thing, why do you act like living w/o sex is some HUGE sacrifice and something most people cannot/will not do.. but then u contradict yourself by saying there is no lack of vocations..

I have been celibate for many years and I don't miss any of that romance stuff at all.. To me, it is FAR more trouble than it is worth.. mind games, power plays... sick o'that...

I think more people need to have such an attitude because that is not just my attitude but reality. Those kinds of relationships are always problematic. And I have seen this in other people's relationships/marriages also, so you can't say it is just me

:huh: