FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholics and Islam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The idea that Muslims worship the one true God is not a "private opinion of popes." It was the teaching of Vatican II in its document Nostra Aetate:

Quote:The Church regards with esteem also the Muslims. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in himself; merciful and all-powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even his inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. (NA 3)

The word Allah is the Arabic equivalent to the English word God. The word Allah is used by Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews as well as Muslims. Although they have an incomplete understanding of the nature and revelation of God, Muslims worship the same God whom Christians and Jews worship.

What is this? does Catholicism say that Muslims worship the same God as Catholics?
(05-05-2018, 07:05 AM)1stvermont2ndvermont3rdvermont Wrote: [ -> ]The idea that Muslims worship the one true God is not a "private opinion of popes." It was the teaching of Vatican II in its document Nostra Aetate:

Quote:The Church regards with esteem also the Muslims. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in himself; merciful and all-powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even his inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. (NA 3)

What is this? does Catholicism say that Muslims worship the same God as Catholics?

It would be good to recall that while many post conciliar Catholics pay far more attention to V2 than all previous councils, it was not, in the eyes of its creator, Pope John XXIII, nor in the eyes of his successor, Pope Paul VI, dogmatic, other than items therein which had previously been taught by the Church as such, it was instead pastoral. The members of the council were perhaps trying to spend time speaking well of others, as opposed to speaking truth as previously taught by the Church. I would suggest that this be kept in mind. Although I personally fall on the side of those believing that islam is at least in part a Christian heresy, it is without doubt a false religion, cobbled together from bits of perhaps nestorianism, rabbinic judaism, and paganism.
On a certain level they must because there is only one God, but they worship Him falsely from Christian perspective. The Koran seems to have Jesus explicitly rejecting His Sonship and has God misunderstanding the Christian teaching on the Trinity,mocking it as a pagan fable. This cannot be from the same God we worship even if perhaps on a certain level when Muslims pray to God there is only one God. 

Personally i reject Belloc's assertion that Islam is a Christian heresy since to be a heretic means you must be a Christian of sorts. How can one be a Christian heretic and not in some way an imperfect Christian? Islam may have borrowed from Nestorian teachings, Arabian paganism and Judaism but that just means it's a false religion cobbled together from various abrahamic religions and pagan myths,not that it is a Christian heresy. I am open to correction but I've always had trouble considering it a heresy as opposed to just being a cut and paste false religion that happens to claim the God of Abraham for itself.