FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: When does judging others become a mortal sin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been struggling anger towards a certain person I have been at odds with for awhile, and it reached a peak in the latter end of last month. An hour ago, I have had these bad thoughts about her doing nasty things, and/or suffering the consequences of her bad attitude and behaviour. I know FishEaters has an article on this that I'm try to work on reading, but I want to know quickly, when does judging others become mortally sinful?
Remember, the same lawgiver who said, "Thou shalt not fornicate," also said, "Thou shalt not judge."
This person is redeemed by Christ.
(05-05-2018, 08:17 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]I've been struggling anger towards a certain person I have been at odds with for awhile, and it reached a peak in the latter end of last month. An hour ago, I have had these bad thoughts about her doing nasty things, and/or suffering the consequences of her bad attitude and behaviour. I know FishEaters has an article on this that I'm try to work on reading, but I want to know quickly, when does judging others become mortally sinful?

i say that if someone is doing evil stuff, that person should be judged

sorta joking

but you know... seroiusly, if someone is doing evil stuff.. FIRST thing: stay away from  that person whether family, "friend" or whomever 1 Cor 6:14 and etc

2nd.. if you absolutely have to deal with the person (co worker?) well... again, try not to but if you have to.. well, I don't know. I am probably not the best one to give advice. I have really lost it at times w/ certain evil people and can't say that the way i handled stuff was in line with Jesus and his teachings... I didn't say or do anything hideous, but I am not so sure I 'turned the other cheek' strictly speaking either...
I keep having these fantasies about her doing, or have done evil things and I don't know if such things are mortally sinful. I know that if I took these fantasy to be serious speculations or certainties they would be mortally sinful as St. Thomas Aquinas has stated, but what these fantasies that enter run through my mind? I'd suspect that they would just be venial, except that this latest fantasy ran through my mind for a very longtime before I considered the fact that this was judgmental.
Good question.

I don't know the answer.
(05-10-2018, 09:22 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]I keep having these fantasies about her doing, or have done evil things and I don't know if such things are mortally sinful. I know that if I took these fantasy to be serious speculations or certainties they would be mortally sinful as St. Thomas Aquinas has stated, but what these fantasies that enter run through my mind? I'd suspect that they would just be venial, except that this latest fantasy ran through my mind for a very longtime before I considered the fact that this was judgmental.

I've came to the conclusion, while praying and meditating in front of Youtube's Adorecast video of the Blessed Sacrament, that this was just a really bad venial sin, but that I should be more careful in the future. (I think I came to my senses, just as the thoughts started to become mortally sinful)

If however, anyone sees a mortal sin, instead of a venial sin in the event mentioned above please let me know.
(05-09-2018, 02:27 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2018, 08:17 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]I've been struggling anger towards a certain person I have been at odds with for awhile, and it reached a peak in the latter end of last month. An hour ago, I have had these bad thoughts about her doing nasty things, and/or suffering the consequences of her bad attitude and behaviour. I know FishEaters has an article on this that I'm try to work on reading, but I want to know quickly, when does judging others become mortally sinful?

i say that if someone is doing evil stuff, that person should be judged

sorta joking

but you know... seroiusly, if someone is doing evil stuff.. FIRST thing: stay away from  that person whether family, "friend" or whomever 1 Cor 6:14 and etc

2nd.. if you absolutely have to deal with the person (co worker?) well... again, try not to but if you have to.. well, I don't know. I am probably not the best one to give advice. I have really lost it at times w/ certain evil people and can't say that the way i handled stuff was in line with Jesus and his teachings... I didn't say or do anything hideous, but I am not so sure I 'turned the other cheek' strictly speaking either...

It's not our job to judge others unless we are placed in authority over them.
(05-10-2018, 09:22 PM)MaryLover Wrote: [ -> ]I keep having these fantasies about her doing, or have done evil things and I don't know if such things are mortally sinful. I know that if I took these fantasy to be serious speculations or certainties they would be mortally sinful as St. Thomas Aquinas has stated, but what these fantasies that enter run through my mind?
Actually, all St. Thomas Aquinas says is that if one judges another with absolute certainty that judgement is mortally sinful, while merely doubting another person's goodness is venially sinful, it is unclear where speculation falls on this. I'm still assuming that my thing was only venially sinful.