FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: unity between Christians--but at the expense of truth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read this article in the Word Among Us booklet, a few months old now.

The guy was going on and on about how God wants us to get along w/ ea other (no argument with that) and that we shouldn't reject people or argue with them or whatever because they don't believe as we do. Well, yes and no. If we are using religion to scapegoat people, take our anger and frustration on people, well, yeh.. that's a problem. 

I wish I could remember more of what he wrote/don't have it in front of me, but most people reading it would think: "Yeh, i agree, Dude.." 

well, even though he finally mentioned how we have to hold onto truth as we try to get along w/ ea other.. Protestants with Catholics, etc.. he avoided the topic of what to do when someone is in great error in his/her beliefs and  therefore could be on the way to Hell but, well, you know.. we have to get along all the time, right? we can't upset the old apple carts, right?

i don't know but didn't Jesus say he came to bring division, "not peace but a sword"?

he also said that if you don't HATE (that is the word he used) your brother, sister, father, mother, wife, etc... you are not worthy of him

getting along is not to mean we must sacrifice truth. Jesus said to preach the word to all

so this is how we are subtly brainwashed into -- shall we call it "religiously correct" thinking?
The Church has one Dogma nobody will champion EXTRA ECCLESIAM NULLA SALUS  (Ouside the Catholic Church, No Salvation)  JESUS left a Church with Sacraments to bring people to Heaven, mankind has chosen to create their own "churches" and chosen how they choose to go to Heaven.
Imo, it's impossible to bridge Catholicism and Protestantism. You either go one way or the other, anything else is a fake version. Catholicism and Protestantism really can't be more opposed, sure some if their theology matches up, but lots of extremely important pieces don't. If one side budges on those issues, they essentially become the other side (more or less).

It's why I and many others find the Catholic/Orthodox discussion more interesting and hopeful even though there are issues there as well.
The Second Vatican Council came out with a decree on ecumenism. Here is a link. I think it is worth studying.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_counc...io_en.html
(05-09-2018, 06:49 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]The Church has one Dogma nobody will champion EXTRA ECCLESIAM NULLA SALUS  (Ouside the Catholic Church, No Salvation)  JESUS left a Church with Sacraments to bring people to Heaven, mankind has chosen to create their own "churches" and chosen how they choose to go to Heaven.

AMEN  to this!

And of course Jesus said there is only ONE way, namely HIM (HIS Church, not human founded ones)

he said that those who attempt to get in another way are thieves and robbers (not to mention they will  fail to get in)

I had kind of forgotten about t hat teaching myself (Outside the Church.. no salvation). I didn't stop believing it, to speak of, but had momentarily forgotten.

thanks 4 the reminder.

Who  wants to believe that most people end up in Hell? (bc they want to invent their own way to s alvation)?

not many want to believe tht their family members,  their beloved friends and just about everyone else is going to Hell. And if someone had told me this when i was very young, i would have thought it was the most hateful sounding thing you could think of... But I have learned a few things in my "many" (seems like 1000) years on Earth.. yes, i have learned many, many things... about life in general, about the Church Christ founded.

Jesus himself said that few find the narrow Way to Heaven

he said many would attempt to enter Heaven "but will not be strong enough" (Lk 13:24). To many "Christians"  (those who did miracles in his name even!!!) Jesus will say in  the end

"Depart from me, you evildoers, I never knew you" (I think that is also Lk 13:24)
(05-09-2018, 10:06 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Imo, it's impossible to bridge Catholicism and Protestantism. You either go one way or the other, anything else is a fake version. Catholicism and Protestantism really can't be more opposed, sure some if their theology matches up, but lots of extremely important pieces don't. If one side budges on those issues, they essentially become the other side (more or less).

It's why I and many others find the Catholic/Orthodox discussion more interesting and hopeful even though there are issues there as well.

i agree. I have to admit I don't know much about Orthodox except they split from the Roman Catholic Church in 1054, I believe over papal infallibility (or Mary is the mother of God?). Well, i show my ignorance but I have been too busy watching the news to read Catholic stuff anymore .. (laugh)

I'm pathetical, eh?

Well, at least i know that it was one of those 2 issues... right?
Nothing wrong with being friendly with each other and working together on some things but ultimately on the level of doctrines and dogmas neither Orthodox,Protestants,Copts or Roman Catholics completely believe the same things. In some ways there are subtle yet stark differences.

Personally i don't think there will ever be agreements on this between now and the second coming.
(05-10-2018, 02:58 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing wrong with being friendly with each other and working together on some things but ultimately on the level of doctrines and dogmas neither Orthodox,Protestants,Copts or Roman Catholics completely believe the same things. In some ways there are subtle yet stark differences.

Personally i don't think there will ever be agreements on this between now and the second coming.

i say we resist till the end!!!

resist, resist, resist

fight the Protesters tooth and nail on everything

(somewhat facetious, but not entirely...)