FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Feeling Welcome at Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I hear a lot of talk about how folks ought to "feel welcome" at church. What exactly does that mean?  Is that just some kind of a buzz phrase for Modernistic happy-clappyism?  Is there any actually Catholic spiritual reason for being overly concerned with this sort of thing?

Forgive me if I sound annoyed, but I was reading a thread over on another forum and was once again struck by how God in the Liturgy is almost an afterthought ....
(05-09-2018, 03:24 PM)BenedicamDominum Wrote: [ -> ]I hear a lot of talk about how folks ought to "feel welcome" at church.  What exactly does that mean?  Is that just some kind of a buzz phrase for Modernistic happy-clappyism?  Is there any actually Catholic spiritual reason for being overly concerned with this sort of thing?

Forgive me if I sound annoyed, but I was reading a thread over on another forum and was once again struck by how God in the Liturgy is almost an afterthought ....

I attend Mass at a Church that says both the Novus Ordo and Vetus Ordo Masses. I only attend the Vetus Ordo but they mention being friendly to the congregation. Especially these days the Church is undertaking an evangeliization campaign in the area and they are particularly focused on bringing former Catholic back.

To more directly answer your question it's pretty much be friendly and say hello to new people...
(05-09-2018, 03:56 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]To more directly answer your question it's pretty much be friendly and say hello to new people...

The problem with that is, who are the new people? I used to live in a Parish that had five Sunday Masses. If i walked up to someone I had never seen and greeted them, they might have attended another Mass in the Parish for 20 years.
(05-09-2018, 04:05 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-09-2018, 03:56 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]To more directly answer your question it's pretty much be friendly and say hello to new people...

The problem with that is, who are the new people? I used to live in a Parish that had five Sunday Masses. If i walked up to someone I had never seen and greeted them, they might have attended another Mass in the Parish for 20 years.
i don't think
Oh please! "Vetus Ordo"? The only truly Tridentine Mass celebrated is from some independent priests and the Sede Vacantists. The 1962 Missal is a compromise which changed Holy Week into a prototype for the Novus Ordo Missae. There are a couple of other versions of the "Latin Mass". Archbishop Lefebvre felt the 1962 was "substantially Tridentine" and he did not want to be thrown out of the Church by John XXI
III so he went with that. Let us just stay with the terms Novus Ordo and Latin Mass to avoid the usual attempt at confusing everyone! As for socializing, usually the "Latin Masses" have a coffee hour after every Mass on Sundays. People are usually friendly, however, some can speak without thinking of another's feelings first. So develop a thicker skin. Novus Ordo does not usually have a coffee hour after Sunday Mass, probably because they would have more rebellion away from Vatican II's progressivism if they allowed the congregation to actually get to know each other.
Sometimes communities can get so preoccupied with themselves that they don’t seem to care when a once-zealous new convert falls away. Many Catholics really could stand to be more outgoing. We shouldn’t make going to church into a social hour, but even small gestures of friendliness really can go a long way.
(05-09-2018, 04:23 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes communities can get so preoccupied with themselves that they don’t seem to care when a once-zealous new convert falls away. Many Catholics really could stand to be more outgoing. We shouldn’t make going to church into a social hour, but even small gestures of friendliness really can go a long way.
Peace.....I know several NO Parishes that have a Coffee Sunday - monthly.  It's generally the same people who show up, but it is an opportunity if noticing a new person/family, to welcome them to that and introduce them around.

At the Tridentine Parish, there is also a coffee room downstairs used weekly, but most people stay upstairs to chatter and outside in the nicer weather.  God bless, angeltime Heart
(05-09-2018, 04:21 PM)greatdame Wrote: [ -> ]Oh please!  "Vetus Ordo"?  The only truly Tridentine Mass celebrated is from some independent priests and the Sede Vacantists. The 1962 Missal is a compromise which changed Holy Week into a prototype for the Novus Ordo Missae. There are a couple of other versions of the "Latin Mass".  Archbishop Lefebvre felt the 1962 was "substantially Tridentine" and he did not want to be thrown out of the Church by John XXI
III so he went with that.  Let us just stay with the terms Novus Ordo and Latin Mass to avoid the usual attempt at confusing everyone!  As for socializing, usually the "Latin Masses" have a coffee hour after every Mass on Sundays. People are usually friendly, however, some can speak without thinking of another's feelings first. So develop a thicker skin.  Novus Ordo does not usually have a coffee hour after Sunday Mass, probably because they would have more rebellion away from Vatican II's progressivism if they allowed the congregation to actually get to know each other.

I am not sure who is trying to confuse anyone.

The issue with the term Latin Mass is that there are Churches that celebrate the Novus Ordo Mass in Latin, while we can safely assume that on the FE site when someone says Latin Mass it the TLM.
(05-09-2018, 05:54 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-09-2018, 04:21 PM)greatdame Wrote: [ -> ]Oh please!  "Vetus Ordo"?  The only truly Tridentine Mass celebrated is from some independent priests and the Sede Vacantists. The 1962 Missal is a compromise which changed Holy Week into a prototype for the Novus Ordo Missae. There are a couple of other versions of the "Latin Mass".  Archbishop Lefebvre felt the 1962 was "substantially Tridentine" and he did not want to be thrown out of the Church by John XXI
III so he went with that.  Let us just stay with the terms Novus Ordo and Latin Mass to avoid the usual attempt at confusing everyone!  As for socializing, usually the "Latin Masses" have a coffee hour after every Mass on Sundays. People are usually friendly, however, some can speak without thinking of another's feelings first. So develop a thicker skin.  Novus Ordo does not usually have a coffee hour after Sunday Mass, probably because they would have more rebellion away from Vatican II's progressivism if they allowed the congregation to actually get to know each other.

The issue with the term Latin Mass is that there are Churches that celebrate the Novus Ordo Mass in Latin, while we can safely assume that on the FE site when someone says Latin Mass it the TLM.
Peace.....yes, I see in this diocese there are NO masses with some Latin thrown in.  In some cases, I see it as weaning the people, and in other cases I see it as covering bases.  (?)  I never heard of the term "Vetus Ordo", and I am assuming that is what this term refers to.  God bless, angeltime Heart
(05-09-2018, 06:18 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-09-2018, 05:54 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]

Peace.....yes, I see in this diocese there are NO masses with some Latin thrown in.  In some cases, I see it as weaning the people, and in other cases I see it as covering bases.  (?)  I never heard of the term "Vetus Ordo", and I am assuming that is what this term refers to.  God bless, angeltime Heart

Vetus Ordo means old form either Francis, Benedict or both used it. I have gone on retreat to a monastery that’s says the Novus Ordo in Latin, in fact there are a few around me. So I have become accustomed to using that term...

Didn’t realize it was offensive.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5