FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican canonizes un-Catholic popes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(06-14-2018, 04:21 PM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]Dominicus, I am just as well informed in the faith as you. In fact, I could win a debate. Name your challenge. Do not souls age differently from the body?

I never said you were uninformed about the faith but as a newcomer its rather expected that you first build some credibilty before attempting to debate. I don't doubt that you could win a debate against me, I've never been terribly good at debating but frankly I find the idea of "challenging" me to be rather immature of you. Especially considering I have been on here far longer than you and you know next to nothing about my level of knowledge or ability, it is presumptive of you to try.

The soul is the form of the body, it does not age so much as "mature". Speaking of which...
Please clarify "the soul is the form of the body."
You claim to be a theologist but don't know about matter and form?
(06-14-2018, 04:49 PM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]Please clarify "the soul is the form of the body."

In your profile you say that you are familiar with Phaedo, therefore you mist be somewhat familiar with the Platonic theory of forms, yes? 

Say you have a chair. The chair is made of wood but just wood by itself does not exist except in potency, it needs a form applied to it so that it can take shape in actuality. Whether it's a pile of wood, a block of wood, or a stick of wood. The wood is the matter of the chair but the form is it's "chairness". The form is kind of like a blueprint for the matter which is wood.

Likewise the soul is the form of the body as the body is the soul's matter.
A theologist does not busy himself learning the vocal utterations by which men refer to concepts.
Yet if the body were the matter of the soul, would the soul then cease to exist upon the death of its matter? No, the soul consists of more than the body.
Then I guess St Thomas Aquinas, Doctor of the Church, wasted a lot of time. You can't even begin to take basic baby steps in understanding theology without understanding 'the vocal utterations by which men refer to concepts'.
(06-14-2018, 05:04 PM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]A theologist does not busy himself learning the vocal utterations by which men refer to concepts.

Well a theologist might not but a theologian certainly does.
You dodge my point. The soul consists of more than its matter.
(06-14-2018, 05:05 PM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]Yet if the body were the matter of the soul, would the soul then cease to exist upon the death of its matter? No, the soul consists of more than the body.

Well no it wouldnt but you can see that once the form leaves the matter, the matter decomposes and takes on a new form.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21