FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are Catholics too scrupulous?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are Catholics too scrupulous?
(05-14-2018, 03:01 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: [ -> ]Are Catholics too scrupulous?

They can be.  It does seem to be a more common problem among Catholics.  But it has way more to do with personality type than doctrinal affiliation.
(05-14-2018, 04:36 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

They can be.  It does seem to be a more common problem among Catholics.  But it has way more to do with personality type than doctrinal affiliation.

What he said

No, not necessarily. 

I think it can seem that way on the internet, because scrupulous people often have doubts and very specific questions on spiritual matters, and they often ask about them without discretion on the internet.  They can't meet with a spiritual director or confessor as often as they'd like, so the internet seems like a reasonable alternative.  People have been wrestling with scrupulosity, as well as overcoming it, since long before the internet though.  To overcome scrupulosity, a good confessor is crucial.  Trust him, do the spiritual practices he recommends, and scrupulosity will work itself out.
The question is too broad. "Are *many* Catholics too scrupulous?" To that I would say yes. However, if you look around, I hardly get the impression that Catholics are too scrupulous. The number of Catholics I know who know nothing about the Faith and care little about what they do know puts the lie to that idea.

There is a specifically Catholic species of scrupulosity, to be sure. It seems to be connected with a caricature of God looking to cast people into Hell for the slightest transgression. This seems pervasive in online Trad Catholicism; I'm not sure that's the case in real life.
(05-14-2018, 04:36 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

well, I don't know about that last thing.

I think people are overly scrupulous (a lot of the time) bc they were always criticized by their parents and that kind of thing... right?
(05-14-2018, 10:26 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]

No, not necessarily. 

I think it can seem that way on the internet, because scrupulous people often have doubts and very specific questions on spiritual matters, and they often ask about them without discretion on the internet.  They can't meet with a spiritual director or confessor as often as they'd like, so the internet seems like a reasonable alternative.  People have been wrestling with scrupulosity, as well as overcoming it, since long before the internet though.  To overcome scrupulosity, a good confessor is crucial.  Trust him, do the spiritual practices he recommends, and scrupulosity will work itself out.

I think most people are not remotely scrupulous enough. In other words, they know or sense that they are not doing enough of what Jesus said but they just shrug it off. I struggle to do enough for people less fortunate. I stand up for them and  etc.. but I could do more. I just have this thing about giving $$ to an agency that is supposed to help the downtrodden but who knows where it might go? I have a real hard time giving $$ to people I don't trust/don't feel I can trust. And the problem is: I don't trust ANYONE!

ahh.... I don't know what to do. I was giving to a charity yrs ago that i trusted and now i am not sure i remember which one it was.. Food for the Poor, i think...
(05-15-2018, 07:53 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]The question is too broad. "Are *many* Catholics too scrupulous?" To that I would say yes. However, if you look around, I hardly get the impression that Catholics are too scrupulous. The number of Catholics I know who know nothing about the Faith and care little about what they do know puts the lie to that idea.

There is a specifically Catholic species of scrupulosity, to be sure. It seems to be connected with a caricature of God looking to cast people into Hell for the slightest transgression. This seems pervasive in online Trad Catholicism; I'm not sure that's the case in real life.

I don't know.. I have often had that thought, that God doesn't really like us humans much... laugh but kinda not funny when u come down to it.. Sometimes I just don't get God and what appears to be his apathetic attitude. Yes, we are sinners but as long as we don't commit mortal sin.. why would God be overly displeased w/ us?