FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Have you ever felt that God is.. evil?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know, that sounds horrible (didn't even want to write it)

but sometimes when, well, you know.. when you are fixing dinner and things are going wrong (u forgot about the stuff on the stove so it burnt) and then you are attempting to correct all tht but there's a knock on your door. You  know it's Mrs Cravitz trying to find out how you got that dent in your car.. and whatever else she can find out and you don't want to answer the door but you are committed to Jesus and he told you to love others as you love yourself and etc... etc... You want to be a good Christian so you are standing there wondering whether to answer the door or pretend you don't hear the knock, and in the meantime, on top of all that, your bladder is full and on top of that the phone is ringing and --- you have been in  a bad mood all day because the electric company raised your bill for no reason and you don't know how you are going to pay it and you want to slap the electric bill people and... well, you get the picture.

on days like these, it is hard to believe 1 John 4:8
The issue of God's goodness in light of the obvious existence of evil is something that theologians and philosophers have wrestled with since the beginning of Christianity, but it usually relates to actual evil. What you're describing in your post is simply a matter of you feeling overwhelmed and frustrated with your present circumstances. We all deal with it, so it's quite normal. I bet if you're really honest with yourself you'll find you don't actually think "God is evil" just because you're having a hectic evening.

Also it's very important to note that merely having a thought in your head does not constitute a sin. We don't control every little thought that pops in our heads. That being the case you have to consciously give assent to the thought for it to be sinful. Sin always begins in the will. If you lose sight of that you can find yourself being gripped by scruples and crushed by the sort of shattering pathos that plagued Pascal most of his life.
I think that it is a temptation of the devil to refer to God as evil.
(05-18-2018, 09:20 PM)MeanGene Wrote: [ -> ]The issue of God's goodness in light of the obvious existence of evil is something that theologians and philosophers have wrestled with since the beginning of Christianity, but it usually relates to actual evil. What you're describing in your post is simply a matter of you feeling overwhelmed and frustrated with your present circumstances. We all deal with it, so it's quite normal. I bet if you're really honest with yourself you'll find you don't actually think "God is evil" just because you're having a hectic evening.

Also it's very important to note that merely having a thought in your head does not constitute a sin. We don't control every little thought that pops in our heads. That being the case you have to consciously give assent to the thought for it to be sinful. Sin always begins in the will. If you lose sight of that you can find yourself being gripped by scruples and crushed by the sort of shattering pathos that plagued Pascal most of his life.

I should read more on Pascal

I know all this and i should have said Facetiousness Alert or something because the example i gave of a bad day is not exactly what i had in mind, i just didn't wnat to get too serious and depressing with the more weighty reasons I sometimes have for feeling that God is ... not so good after all?

In any case, a lot of times the problem is that the devil is smarter than we are and knows how to get to us Again, the answer to the problem is the Real Presence. Usually when I feel this kind of God is not so good thing.. it is when I haven't been with Jesus THAT way... but of course the devil whispers in our ear that we don't need him "right now" or whatever...