FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: St Francis would be 86d from the Church if he lived today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
yeh, I can't help thinking this because he was a homeless beggar and OMG! the Church does not want homeless beggars!

so if St Francis were sent back to Earth, he probably would be treated a lot more shabbily than he was in his own day

Mostly, I say this because of Vatican 2. obviously, St francis lived b4 the Vat 2 Council

Everything is different because of Vat II

everything... But there are plenty of St Francis-es running around and most Churches want nothing to do with them. There is a dinner for this cause and a "gala" for that... usually costing some serious money (that the poor cannot afford to pay). There aren't many free events in the Church anymore.. The poor are given the message: we don't need you (except your small contribution when the basket goes around. We will let you do that...)
(05-19-2018, 03:36 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: [ -> ]There is a dinner for this cause and a "gala" for that... usually costing some serious money (that the poor cannot afford to pay). There aren't many free events in the Church anymore..

You do realise those events cost so much because they're fund-raisers? The poor can donate to whatever charity they like, but they're meant to be the beneficiaries, not the donors, for such events.
My former FSSP Parish had a yearly banquet, usually with a well known Catholic speaker. It was expensive, but there were always wealthy people who would 'buy a table' so that those who couldn't afford it (like yours truly) could attend.