FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Chalked Epiphany blessing on door
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is this supposed to come down today?  Have always kept it up year round.
(05-20-2018, 03:28 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: [ -> ]Is this supposed to come down today?  Have always kept it up year round.

The custom is to write on the main door of the house the Epiphany with the freshly blessed chalk, and then allow it to weather throughout the year, and clean it remnants on the Vigil of the Epiphany, so it can be written up again afresh on the next Epiphany.

There is no need to remove it at some point in time during the year, but there also is nothing against doing this at some point in time.
Great . . . it will stay up then.

I was fearful I had been committing the liturgical equivalent of keeping my Christmas lights up all year.
(05-20-2018, 04:44 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: [ -> ]Great . . . it will stay up then.

I was fearful I had been committing the liturgical equivalent of keeping my Christmas lights up all year.

Wait ... you take down your Christmas lights ... doesn't that make for more work in December?

:D
I leave mine up all year and just write the new one over the old. My door frames are white, so it doesn’t really show up anyway.
                                                   I got a real weird story about the Epiphany Chalking. Some yrs ago an Evangelical Protestant relative moved in with my Mom and me, and was unaware that I had done the chalking. Not familiar with this custom, it ended up causing a lot of anxiety that someone had broken in and made chalk markings.
I’ve gotten a similar response. A neighbor came over to tell us that someone had written on our door. He was aghast to find out we had done it ourselves. The odd thing was that it was up for years before he apparently noticed it.
(05-20-2018, 05:10 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]I leave mine up all year and just write the new one over the old. My door frames are white, so it doesn’t really show up anyway.

Im pretty sure my neighbors do the same thing with Christmas lights.