FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Usus Antiquor - question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Peace.....we just had a local announcement that a parish will be starting in September every second Saturday morning to have the Mass According to the Missal of Pope John XX111 - Mass of Missal 1962 E Form or Usus Antiquor.  

A friend of mine is very concerned about this date 1962 and said the Mass of P J XX111 was changed and we are only to consider attending a Tridentine Mass prior to that date.  

Please advise what is the correct thing to do??  Thankyou and God bless, angeltime :heart:
I may be wrong, but I believe the only changes made were the insertion of St Joseph into the Canon, and changes to the rubrics and calendar, The Office was changed quite a bit more, but I think the changes to the Missal were small. Plus, the Missal of John XXIII is the only one approved for use under SP (and the indult for the pre-1955 Holy Week that some Parishes have).
(05-22-2018, 09:21 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I may be wrong, but I believe the only changes made were the insertion of St Joseph into the Canon, and changes to the rubrics and calendar, The Office was changed quite a bit more, but I think the changes to the Missal were small. Plus, the Missal of John XXIII is the only one approved for use under SP (and the indult for the pre-1955 Holy Week that some Parishes have).
Peace and thankyou, but what is SP?? :heart:
(05-22-2018, 09:21 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I may be wrong, but I believe the only changes made were the insertion of St Joseph into the Canon, and changes to the rubrics and calendar, The Office was changed quite a bit more, but I think the changes to the Missal were small. Plus, the Missal of John XXIII is the only one approved for use under SP (and the indult for the pre-1955 Holy Week that some Parishes have).
Peace.....I think I figured out haha!! what SP is - and I will feel quite ridiculous when you tell me....haha!! 
God bless, angeltime :heart:
Most Latin Mass communities only offer Mass according to the 1962 Missal. Occasionally, some may use the pre-1945 Holy Week liturgies, but beyond that it’s all 1962. Some schismatic groups use the 1954 or earlier, but I can’t recommend them. Perhaps the person who told you this either goes to one of them or has allied himself with them.
Pope Benedict's motu proprio 'freeing' the Old Mass. :LOL:
(05-22-2018, 09:54 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Most Latin Mass communities only offer Mass according to the 1962 Missal. Occasionally, some may use the pre-1945 Holy Week liturgies, but beyond that it’s all 1962. Some schismatic groups use the 1954 or earlier, but I can’t recommend them. Perhaps the person who told you this either goes to one of them or has allied himself with them.
Peace.....thankyou for your helpful response!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(05-22-2018, 09:54 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Pope Benedict's motu proprio 'freeing' the Old Mass. :LOL:
:blush: :heart:
FSSP, ICKSP, SSPX all use the 1962. There are certainly enough trads who want to go back to a pre-1955 missal, but I believe AB Lefebvre agreed to use 1962 as a concession to Rome in hopes of moving reconcilation along. Unless I remember the story wrong. Either way, it's considered the last missal prior to the changes (and it would be considered a slight to John XXIII to use anything else), so that's why the Pope Benedict XVI picked it to be used in SP.

As a note, just about every TLM parish still include pieces that were, according to the red books, suppressed in 1962 such as the second confiteor. I think we tend to see more of a hybrid approach in some places, maybe I'm wrong.

This is a sede site, but once you get past the vitriol, it does give a comparison of the pre 1962 vs 1962 missals.
http://www.traditionalmass.org/articles/....php?id=18
(05-22-2018, 09:54 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Pope Benedict's motu proprio 'freeing' the Old Mass. :LOL:

I had to think about that one myself.
Pages: 1 2