FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How to tactfully decline offer to become an EM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I go to an NO parish and was approached by our deacon last Sunday about becoming an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist. Even if I were fully on board with the idea of EM's in theory, I'd still have misgivings about my personal worthiness to handle Our Lord's Body and Blood. I figured I'd be asked eventually, so this is something I actually made my mind up about a long time ago, but I figured another week praying and thinking about it was only fair. My "answer" remains the same, only, I don't know how to turn down the offer tactfully -- i.e. without causing any "bad blood." I'd prefer at this time to remain "incognito," and not to be known as some trad troublemaker.
Just say "no thanks" you shouldn't need to give details, I mean unless they've started conscripting it's your choice alone. If they won't take no for an answer then just say "thank you but I just don't feel like it's for me" or something of similar sibstance.
Well, you could use some popular lingo and say you do not "feel" called to it.  

I was actually, well still am but do not serve at Mass, an EMHC for years, starting in my 20s.  I do take Holy Communion to a senior home where there are about 17 Catholics and do this weekly.  Have also gone to homebound and hospital.  Our priests cannot be everywhere.  But there are enough ladies about the altar for Mass and I have no plans to be one of those.
Or say "I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable with doing that."

That puts your interlocutor in the terrible position of not pressing you, lest they make you feel uncomfortable.
Why not just say "no."
(06-16-2018, 07:26 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you could use some popular lingo and say you do not "feel" called to it.  

I was actually, well still am but do not serve at Mass, an EMHC for years, starting in my 20s.  I do take Holy Communion to a senior home where there are about 17 Catholics and do this weekly.  Have also gone to homebound and hospital.  Our priests cannot be everywhere.  But there are enough ladies about the altar for Mass and I have no plans to be one of those.

Serving those in nursing homes and hospitals really matters those staying there.  It gave me great comfort to receive Communion when I was in the hospital.
But if  you don't want to do any of this, you can honestly say, "no, thank you, it is not for me".  So many problems and uncomfortable situations can be avoided with polite, simple honesty.
Anything you do will likely cause contention.  I would simply say, "It just has to be a 'no'," and then not worry about it any further.
It would be easy for me to decline as I feel the laity has no business handling the Precious Body of Christ. I refuse to receive Holy Communion from an EC nor will even take the Body of Christ with my own hands.