FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Heretical Hymn?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
At mass today I noticed the communion hymn seems to contradict what communion is.
Without seeing you we love you.
Without touching you we embrace.
Without knowing you we follow.
Without seeing you we believe.

Thoughts?
(06-17-2018, 07:44 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: [ -> ]At mass today I noticed the communion hymn seems to contradict what communion is.

Thoughts?

David Haas strikes again.  I have never understood why our contemporary composers feel the need to take these sorts of liberties.

I've heard worse, though.  Laurence Rosania comes to mind.
I don’t like that hymn. Trash like that is why I refuse to attend the Novus Ordo.
While I'm at it the hymn 'Lord of The Dance was partly inspired by the hindu god Shiva. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_...nce_(hymn)
Well that sounds like a horrible hymn but I don't think it seems outright heretical.

Seeing, touching, tasting, are in Thee decieved. How says trusty hearing that shall be believed.
(06-17-2018, 07:44 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: [ -> ]At mass today I noticed the communion hymn seems to contradict what communion is.

Thoughts?
Pax!  Well, it's empty of Truth!  

We do see God - in others, in nature, creation, the sick, poor and others

We do touch God - when we receive Him in our hearts - and He touches us

We know Him and that is why we follow

Somebody needs to throw this hymn out!

God bless, angeltime Heart
Am I not touching Christ when I receive the Eucharist?
(06-17-2018, 08:37 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]Well that sounds like a horrible hymn but I don't think it seems outright heretical.

Seeing, touching, tasting, are in Thee decieved. How says trusty hearing that shall be believed.

I thought of Adoro te devote, too, but it's not the same. St Thomas Aquinas means that according to our senses of sight, touch, and taste, it's bread, but we know it's really not because the Church tells us. This hymn is only non-heretical if it means Jesus as a man, or God as spirit - in that context, it's more like our Lord's words to St Thomas - "blessed are they who have not seen, and yet believe". Except at Communion, we do see, touch, and know Jesus, since He's right there, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. This hymn should never be sung at Communion - preferably not at all - but definitely not at Communion.

I've always thought that if I were in charge of a parish, I'd ban anything by Haugen and Haas, "Amazing Grace", and "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God", and require approval for anything composed after 1900, just to be safe.
(06-17-2018, 08:45 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: [ -> ]Am I not touching Christ when I receive the Eucharist?

Well yes but as St Thomas pointed out in his hymn we believe he is in the Eucharist despite how our senses fail to perceive Him.

I mean we look at Christ but we see a wafer, we touch Him but feel bread, we receive Him but we have no way of knowing it is Him aside from faith.

"Faith for all defects supplying where the feeble senses fail."

I believe that is the idea this hymn is trying (and failing) to express, of course it was probably made ambiguous on purpose like so much else.
(06-17-2018, 08:58 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that is the idea this hymn is trying (and failing) to express, of course it was probably made ambiguous on purpose like so much else.

I think so, too, except it fails, which means it shouldn't be used at Mass. David Haas is no Thomas Aquinas. I'm sure St Bonaventure came up with something better than this, too.
Pages: 1 2 3