FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Please Help This Organization Defend Catholic Marriages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
+
JMJ

[Image: Sorrowful_Mother_Small_Poster_300x300.jp...nce%22:2%7D%5D]
[Image: Name_Logo_Subtitle_2400w_600_Lite.png]

Mary warned us that the final battle would be over marriage and the family!

As one who was put through the process, I can vouch that the vast majority of tribunals are pro-annulment and leave faithful Catholics who try to defend their marriage against frivolous cases for declaring nullity feeling abandoned not only by their spouse but by the Catholic Church itself!

Mary's Advocates was a huge support to me during this most difficult trial and gave me the support and advice of others who believe the old-fashioned notion that marriage is until death do you part, every effort should be made to avoid divorce, and annulments should be a rare necessity.

So many Catholics today, including many parish priests and sometimes even Bishops seem to think that divorce, annulment and "re-marriage" is just the "Catholic" version of the divorce culture that surrounds us. 

Often, the tribunals are not following canon-law.  This was true in my case and Mary's Advocates was able to educate me with the knowledge I needed to at least give an adequate defense against the defamation of character assailed against me.

Few, myself included, can afford or even find a canon lawyer to help them.  The process is very complicated and it's easy to be misled if you are going in blind.  Sometimes the "advocate" you are assigned at the tribunal is less than helpful or even misleading especially since Pope Francis has put pressure on them to fast-track the cases.  Often they mean well but have been formed to believe that granting a declaration of nullity is the most "merciful" path for everyone.

Mary's Advocates provides free assistance as well as a forum for meeting others who are trying to defend their marriages which is so important when you feel all alone.

Mary's Advocates is much needed today and I have recommended them to several Fishies in despair over their "rigged" annulment proceedings.  If just one child is saved the pain of having their family needlessly nullified it is worth every dime.

I received an email from them today and sadly, they just lost one of their biggest donors!

They are in dire need at this time of financial assistance and I humbly ask that all Fishies that in addition to donating to Fisheaters

please contribute what you can to keep this much-needed organization afloat!

Here is info from their latest newsletter:

DONATE HERE!
https://gem.godaddy.com/s/960d6c

And here is their excellent website which every faithful Catholic should keep handy in case a friend or relative finds themselves in the unhappy position of defending their marriage against tides within the Church as much as without:

http://marysadvocates.org/
Added note:  Please understand that both Mary's Defenders and I understand that a declaration of nullity is sometimes necessary and just, and I don't mean to pass judgment against any Fishies who have received them as such.   Heart

I think we can all recognize that 60,000 per year when there were only 4 worldwide at the start of the last century is a drastic change that does not bode well for the state of the Church, especially when some dioceses have a 100% approval rate for any applicant seeking annulment.  sad
I've put their website in the blogroll on my blog. Bai Macfarlane and I corresponded for a while a few years ago. she's a valiant warrior for the sanctity of marriage.
(06-30-2018, 06:17 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: [ -> ]Added note:  Please understand that both Mary's Defenders and I understand that a declaration of nullity is sometimes necessary and just, and I don't mean to pass judgment against any Fishies who have received them as such.

I think we can all recognize that 60,000 per year when there were only 4 worldwide at the start of the last century is a drastic change that does not bode well for the state of the Church, especially when some dioceses have a 100% approval rate for any applicant seeking annulment.

I don't know the group, but if they support a return to some sanity on marriage nullity cases, Deo Gratias.

One point, however : Your statistics are wildly incorrect.

While there were a significantly lower number of nullity declarations in 1900 and before, it was not four cases worldwide. 

There is a huge amount of case law and canonical studies on the matter. There are thousands of treatises on the subject, and it is a major subject of Canon Law. There are detailed procedures for the cases. In my studies of canon law, I read thousands of pages on nullity cases. That is horrendously disproporition if only four cases per year were happening. Such a workload could be directly handled by the Holy See, yet there were tribunals in every diocese with appelate tribunals in the ecclesiastical provinces, and the Roman Rota to review other cases.

The Rota decisions in the last few centuries before the moden crisis (mostly appeals after a second or third appeal) on nullity cases make up many volumes, far more than four per year.

In reality the number of nullity declarations in the U.S. was about 300 per year in 1960 (according to Edward Peters, J.C.D.) which was probably not much increased from 1900. This was U.S., not worldwide, so worldwide numbers were probably much higher. My highly conservative guess would be that there were somewhere around 5,000 nullity declarations per year in the world around 1900.

Dr. Peters also, citing the Catholic Almanac from 1993, says that the number from the U.S. was about 60,000 per year, or about 9 per 10,000 professed Catholics in the U.S.

That is staggeringly high, but it's important, I think, that we not be so hyperbolic or inaccurate with our claims that the correct and important point be lost.
(07-03-2018, 09:35 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2018, 06:17 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: [ -> ]I think we can all recognize that 60,000 per year when there were only 4 worldwide at the start of the last century is a drastic change that does not bode well for the state of the Church, especially when some dioceses have a 100% approval rate for any applicant seeking annulment.

One point, however : Your statistics are wildly incorrect.

While there were a significantly lower number of nullity declarations in 1900 and before, it was not four cases worldwide. 

Huh.

Well, I can't find any official data on them, but I was referring to this priest's sermon in stating my numbers.

Now that I review what he said, he doesn't provide a resource for his information other than someone told him.

He talks about it at the 20 min mark: