FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is scrupulosity bad ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
+PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM+

Hello everyone !

I had posted earlier that I am discerning a vocation to a Traditional Catholic Priesthood and I re-started the process this April. Unfortunately, there are no Traditional Catholic Orders in our country. As a result, I attend a Novus Ordo - based parish in my city.

However, the confessor at my local parish states that I am suffering from scruples ; in the sense, that I go for confession once in 2-3 weeks even for the slightest possible sin to receive Communion in a state of grace. Instead, he recommends that I should go for confession only after a period of one and a half month since he states that God takes time to work even when you are in a state of sin - mortal or venial ; also, I could receive Holy Communion but have to make a fervent Act of Contrition beforehand. But, that has left me puzzled because most online Catholic forums that I have come across recommend frequenting Confession ASAP (in the case of committing mortal sin) or after a gap of 2-3 weeks in the case of deliberate venial sin.

So, is my "scrupulosity" in terms of Faith and conscience as a Catholic justified or a "thorn in the flesh" ? In case if it is bad, could someone please recommend ways to overcome this ?

God Bless !

Thanks in advance !  Smile
It doesn't sound to me as if you have scruples. It sounds like you have a modernist confessor, who's not sure if sin exists, doesn't want to be bothered, and probably skipped that moral theology class that mentioned the rules for a worthy Holy Communion.
I agree with Jovan. It doesn't sound like you have the scruples. Just a modernist priest.

One should go as often to confession as one needs to, that is each time you commit a grave sin. Even if you have to go quite often. Its also good to go even when you've committed just venial sins. I personally go every week, many saints recommend this.

If you commit a mortal sin then making a perfect act of contrition wI'll forgive your sins but you are still required to go to confession asap and not receive communion until you do.

If you find that you actually do suffer from scruples I reccomend finding a more traditionally minded spiritual director to help you.
(07-01-2018, 02:04 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]One should go as often to confession as one needs to, that is each time you commit a grave sin. Even if you have to go quite often. Its also good to go even when you've committed just venial sins. I personally go every week, many saints recommend this.

Agreed. The Sacrament of Penance gives grace and should be availed of frequently. I confess every two weeks and recently I had no mortal sins to confess. I confessed to venial failings and the confessor told me that I was doing the right thing. He pointed out that Mother Teresa confessed weekly and said he did as well.

It's like the old saying, 'You don't wait until you're filthy to bathe.'
I was going to say that there is also the matter of gaining plenary indulgences. The old rule was that the required confession and Holy Communion had to be performed within eight days before or after the indulgenced act, but in researching it to make sure I was correct, I discovered differently. Since the Great Jubilee Year 2000, according to the Apostolic Penitentiary, the time is now twenty days before or after the act.

Indulgences - General Conditions (from EWTN)
The Church recommends going to confession every two weeks.  Personally, I confess every week, and sometimes I have confessed more than once a week (not because I am personally holy, but because I needed to confess.) 

This priest is wrong.  If you have a mortal sin on your soul, go to confession (make frequent acts of contrition, yes, but always go to confession and do not receive communion until you've confessed.)
I go on average once a week. I'd probably do once every two weeks if I had a better control over my sexual libido. And was only admitting venial sins. You sound totally normal to me.

Side note, what order of priests are you looking to join? FSSP? IoCtK? SSPX? I gotta say I'm all about IoCtK's attention to aesthetic beauty.
If you have problems with the advice or you feel uncomfortable with your present confessor then I recommend that you look for another place to go to confession to.
Some basic advice for Confession :
  • Go to Confession as soon as reasonably possible after you have committed a mortal sin. In the meantime do your best to make a Perfect Act of Contrition and mean it, and repeat it. Actually, say it every day for your past sins anyway, but certainly as soon as possible and often after you have committed a certain mortal sin.
  • Go as often as needed to avoid mortal sins, if you are easily falling into sin, even daily if necessary. Ideally, come before you fall into a mortal sin, especially when you feel yourself weak or see more and more venial sins creeping in, so you have the help of the sacramental grace grace to avoid mortal sin.
  • If you are not falling easily into mortal sin and do not need more frequent confession to help prevent mortal sin, then confess every 2-6 weeks, and ideally if you do not have serious sins to confess, try to come outside of the time for before Mass confessions.
  • Have Fraternal Charity : Realize that if you are making a confession of devotion (not "of necessity" for mortal sins), then there may be others waiting who have confessions of necessity to make, and you are standing between them and Sanctifying Grace. You can take time or ask questions if no one is waiting, but if people are waiting in line, remember the 4 Bs of confession : Be Sorry, Be Honest, Be Brief, Be Gone.
(07-01-2018, 12:40 PM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [ -> ]+PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM+

Hello everyone !

I had posted earlier that I am discerning a vocation to a Traditional Catholic Priesthood and I re-started the process this April. Unfortunately, there are no Traditional Catholic Orders in our country. As a result, I attend a Novus Ordo - based parish in my city.

However, the confessor at my local parish states that I am suffering from scruples ; in the sense, that I go for confession once in 2-3 weeks even for the slightest possible sin to receive Communion in a state of grace. Instead, he recommends that I should go for confession only after a period of one and a half month since he states that God takes time to work even when you are in a state of sin - mortal or venial ; also, I could receive Holy Communion but have to make a fervent Act of Contrition beforehand. But, that has left me puzzled because most online Catholic forums that I have come across recommend frequenting Confession ASAP (in the case of committing mortal sin) or after a gap of 2-3 weeks in the case of deliberate venial sin.

So, is my "scrupulosity" in terms of Faith and conscience as a Catholic justified or a "thorn in the flesh" ? In case if it is bad, could someone please recommend ways to overcome this ?

God Bless !

Thanks in advance !  Smile
LOL, I'm not discerning anything and I go to confession every 2 weeks, sometimes once a week. I was told by the priest (by the way he is a  Novus Ordo priest) that he feels joy that I confess so often. Maybe he likes hearing of my escapades. I was worried about scropuocity, but I was told I wasn't and I should confess and confess often. Remember the Saints availed themselves to confession often. Keep doing what you are doing, you are in my prayers.