FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Attended my first TLM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
On July 1st, yesterday, I attended a TLM for the firsttime ever with my wife and daughter. It was purely by chance. My wife suggested we go to this Church we hadn’t been to yet. It’s about an hours drive for us. I was so pleasantly surprised when Mass started that I could immediately tell something was different. I won’t get into details but those who have been to a TLM know what I’m talking about.
It was absolutely beautiful! It was difficult to follow at first but that was fine.
I have a problem now. I think it will be nearly impossible for me to ever attend a NO Mass ever again.
There isn't a TLM in my area but I think I know how you feel. I attended a Byzantine Catholic Church and was blown away by the Devine Liturgy. The reverance, the chanting (there are no musical instrument at all in the Church). The Church is 50 minutes away. I try to attend at least once a month.
I honestly can't pretend that I had any magical experience the two times I've attended the TLM. However, I fully believe that the Mass is more meritorious and reverent and would prefer to attend it every week. However, my fiancé seems to be rather fond of the parish we're at right now (and so am I, a lot of good people here) so I think I'm just going to have to push to get it at my parish. Until then, we do try to attend the TLM once a month. I need to get a Missal and read The Holy Mass.
I have attended the Divine Liturgy at both Byzantine and Orthodox Churches and I feel the TLM is every bit as reverent. If I can continue attending a TLM from now on, I think I can remain a RC. It will take some effort as this Church is an hour’s drive and except for last Sunday, the TLM is only celebrated at 8:00 am. It was celebrated at 10:30 because it was a feast day.
My wife and daughter aren’t very thrilled at having to get up by at least 6:00 am to be able to make it on time.
I prefer the TLM that is not sung, people are usually more reverent then. Anyway, when people are singing "Agnus Dei" during consecration, it is hard for them to adore Him, because they are so focused on reading music and singing it that they lose their focus on God. But the sung TLM is still 1000% better then the Novus Ordo.
(07-03-2018, 11:03 AM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer the TLM that is not sung, people are usually more reverent then. Anyway, when people are singing "Agnus Dei" during consecration, it is hard for them to adore Him, because they are so focused on reading music and singing it that they lose their focus on God. But the sung TLM is still 1000% better then the Novus Ordo.

I don't know what TLM your talking about. Never have I ever been to a TLM where anyone would dare play music during the consecration. Besides the Agnus Dei comes later, why was it anywhere near the consecration?
(07-03-2018, 11:19 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2018, 11:03 AM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer the TLM that is not sung, people are usually more reverent then. Anyway, when people are singing "Agnus Dei" during consecration, it is hard for them to adore Him, because they are so focused on reading music and singing it that they lose their focus on God. But the sung TLM is still 1000% better then the Novus Ordo.

I don't know what TLM your talking about. Never have I ever been to a TLM where anyone would dare play music during the consecration. Besides the Agnus Dei comes later, why was it anywhere near the consecration?

I assume he means the Sanctus. Either way, anywhere I've ever been, even with big ol'polyphonic settings, the Sanctus usually ends before or shortly after the Hanc igitur. I've never seen it go on during the consecration. The polyphonic settings tend to have the split before & after the consecration, but people in the pews aren't singing that anyway.
(07-03-2018, 11:32 AM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2018, 11:19 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what TLM your talking about. Never have I ever been to a TLM where anyone would dare play music during the consecration. Besides the Agnus Dei comes later, why was it anywhere near the consecration?

I assume he means the Sanctus. Either way, anywhere I've ever been, even with big ol'polyphonic settings, the Sanctus usually ends before or shortly after the Hanc igitur. I've never seen it go on during the consecration. The polyphonic settings tend to have the split before & after the consecration, but people in the pews aren't singing that anyway.

One of the reasons I generally dislike polyphony, I've seen a polyphonic sanctus drag on so long the priest had to wait for it to end before beginning the words of institution. Kinda destroys the idea of the silent canon doesn't it?
I don't like Masses where there is much singing (not that I don't like music, I love it) because I think that singing prevents one's whole attention from being focused on God. I especially don't like music during post-communion, for I'm trying to pray and am distracted by the music (though I guess the annoyance can be offered up to Him too).
(07-03-2018, 12:10 PM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like Masses where there is much singing (not that I don't like music, I love it) because I think that singing prevents one's whole attention from being focused on God. I especially don't like music during post-communion, for I'm trying to pray and am distracted by the music (though I guess the annoyance can be offered up to Him too).

In part I agree but as the saying goes "he who sings once prays twice".
Pages: 1 2 3