FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can a relationship between a Traditional Catholic and an Orthodox Christian work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I Can a relationship between a devout Traditional Catholic and a devout Orthodox Christian work? The theologically differences don't seem all that significant, but children would be an issue. The Catholic Church requires that children be raised Catholic, and the Orthodox Church requires that children be raised Orthodox. That seems very tough to get around. One would have to submit to the other.
I've been trying to answer that question for two years now...

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk
(07-17-2018, 08:54 AM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]I Can a relationship between a devout Traditional Catholic and a devout Orthodox Christian work? The theologically differences don't seem all that significant, but children would be an issue. The Catholic Church requires that children be raised Catholic, and the Orthodox Church requires that children be raised Orthodox. That seems very tough to get around. One would have to submit to the other.

The differences may not seem significant, but both Churches claim to be the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church, which logically means that the other is, at least in some sense, a false Church. That is, to use a technical term, a doozy.

In reality, such a marriage can work, but as you say, one side has to give. Even under the 1983 Code of Canon Law, a Catholic in a mixed marriage who does not attempt to raise his or her children Catholic is subject to canonical penalties; whether these are ever really imposed, I do not know. Orthodox can, again theoretically at least, be kept from Communion if they do not meet their obligations.

I personally know of several marriages between Eastern Catholics and Orthodox; these are obviously a bit closer culturally and religiously, so maybe the tensions are fewer, but the fundamental problem still remains. It is not for no reason that both the Catholic and Orthodox Churches actually forbid mixed marriages, which in both Churches require a dispensation to contract. And in the Orthodox Church, the marriage must be performed in the Orthodox Church by an Orthodox priest for validity.
Not to mention that the Orthodox say you can marry three people at once.
(07-17-2018, 11:32 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]Not to mention that the Orthodox say you can marry three people at once.

A ridiculous caricature of their praxis that does nothing to help the OP.
(07-17-2018, 08:54 AM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]I Can a relationship between a devout Traditional Catholic and a devout Orthodox Christian work? The theologically differences don't seem all that significant, but children would be an issue. The Catholic Church requires that children be raised Catholic, and the Orthodox Church requires that children be raised Orthodox. That seems very tough to get around. One would have to submit to the other.

This is a mixed marriage.

The Church has always detested mixed marriages, because they always involve a serious harm to the Faith of the Catholic and also the children of the union.

The Church will tolerate this grave evil when it is clear that the evil caused by refusing the marriage would be a greater evil (e.g. the Catholic would apostasize, they would marry civilly, etc.). In general, I cannot see how it would be possible that the Church could be put into the situation of tolerating such an evil if there were not grave sins that the couple committed to get to that point, with very few exceptions.

So, the traditional Catholic stance is that it would be a serious occasion of sin for a Catholic to have a romantic relationship with a non-Catholic of any kind, which could be justified only in a very serious situation (e.g. a lack of suitable Catholic potential spouses)
(07-17-2018, 12:36 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-17-2018, 11:32 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]Not to mention that the Orthodox say you can marry three people at once.

A ridiculous caricature of their praxis that does nothing to help the OP.

I thought it was seven ...  Big Grin

Bad grammatical construction! Big Grin Whilst it's true, it sounds like you mean you can have a wedding for four people at once! If you had said 'the Orthodox believe you can be married to three people at once' it would have been clearer.
(07-17-2018, 12:36 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]A ridiculous caricature of their praxis that does nothing to help the OP.

Whilst the grammatical construction of Dominicus' statement could be improved as I've pointed out, his statement is basically true, and I think very germane to the OP's question. If two people do not share the same doctrine of marriage, is it even possible for them to actually be fully informed as to the nature of the Sacrament?

If both sides are "devout" as you say, would not each regard the other as an heretic?  Why would a person want to be intimate with an heretic?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6