FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Being Told to Stay Away From Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need some
(07-25-2018, 08:54 AM)Patmappas28 Wrote: [ -> ]I need some counsel. Recently I got into trouble with my priest and he asked me to stay away from the parish until he says it's okay to come back. The situation I got myself into was very serious. So I respected him and did as he asked. It's been a month and a half since I've last been there. I called him two days ago asking if he could call me to see if he would give me permission to come back and I haven't gotten a response back. I also contacted other people in the parish and have just been ignored. I'm starting to get really antsy because I want to go receive Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist so he can sanctify my soul and so I can merit grace that will give me happiness in Heaven. I'm also pissed because I'm not getting those days of receiving sanctifying grace back. What should I do?

Shake the dust off your shoes and find a new parish.  Screw them.  You can receive Christ in any Catholic Church.

As far as "getting those days of sanctifying grace back," I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Christ is eternal.  This is one of those things that is kind of an either/or.  Not entirely, but somewhat.  When you've received Christ, you have him in full.  Nothing is missing.  You only have the eucharist in you for about 15 minutes before it's no longer Christ himself.  So that's 23 hours and 45 minutes a day that you don't have Christ in you eucharistically.  And that's if you receive daily.  In some church traditions, it's common to only receive once a year.  When you receive Christ, you receive him in full, and it's as if you've always had him.  It's nothing to worry about if you've missed a few days or a few Sundays for the right reasons (obviously, if it's because of mortal sin, you should resolve that as soon as possible, though).
Without prying into what happened, I'd suggest going to another parish to confess and receive Eucharist.
(07-25-2018, 09:27 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]Shake the dust off your shoes and find a new parish.  Screw them.  You can receive Christ in any Catholic Church.

As far as "getting those days of sanctifying grace back," I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Christ is eternal.  This is one of those things that is kind of an either/or.  Not entirely, but somewhat.  When you've received Christ, you have him in full.  Nothing is missing.  You only have the eucharist in you for about 15 minutes before it's no longer Christ himself.  So that's 23 hours and 45 minutes a day that you don't have Christ in you eucharistically.  And that's if you receive daily.  In some church traditions, it's common to only receive once a year.  When you receive Christ, you receive him in full, and it's as if you've always had him.  It's nothing to worry about if you've missed a few days or a few Sundays for the right reasons (obviously, if it's because of mortal sin, you should resolve that as soon as possible, though).

The thing that's been on my mind and I've been really stressed over is that I was taught through my reading that the amount of sanctifying grace and merit that we receive on Earth will determine the amount of happiness we have in Heaven and I want to be very rich in happiness. I think maybe my views are off and I shouldn't be worried. I'm also very anti-novus ordo and feel uncomfortable switching to a daily Mass where it is practiced.
How dare they deny you what Christ has so freely given.
(07-25-2018, 11:02 AM)Patmappas28 Wrote: [ -> ]The thing that's been on my mind and I've been really stressed over is that I was taught through my reading that the amount of sanctifying grace and merit that we receive on Earth will determine the amount of happiness we have in Heaven and I want to be very rich in happiness. I think maybe my views are off and I shouldn't be worried. I'm also very anti-novus ordo and feel uncomfortable switching to a daily Mass where it is practiced.

I don't know where you were taught that, but I don't buy it one bit.  If that's true - then St. Paul would have no chance of as much happiness as so many others - as he was not a life long Christian like some.  

I'd don't know where that teaching came from, but I would be skeptical of any other teaching from that source, and would dispose of this particular idea.  

Ancient Faith Radio has a series on Imputed Righteousness, where they really discuss grace not as a thing, but as a state of being.  Sometimes I think the Catholic Church views it so much as a "thing" they really loose sight of the whole purpose, which is the state of being.  I guess I see this as a newer Catholic, so many terribly catechized parents saying to their kids - "don't do that, you'll get a black spot on your soul" -  Yikes.  

God is good.
(07-25-2018, 08:54 AM)Patmappas28 Wrote: [ -> ]I need some counsel. Recently I got into trouble with my priest and he asked me to stay away from the parish until he says it's okay to come back. The situation I got myself into was very serious. So I respected him and did as he asked. It's been a month and a half since I've last been there. I called him two days ago asking if he could call me to see if he would give me permission to come back and I haven't gotten a response back. I also contacted other people in the parish and have just been ignored. I'm starting to get really antsy because I want to go receive Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist so he can sanctify my soul and so I can merit grace that will give me happiness in Heaven. I'm also pissed because I'm not getting those days of receiving sanctifying grace back. What should I do?

When you say the situation was very serious, and the Priest is asking you to stay away from the Parish, I'm assuming you committed a  mortal sin. If you did commit a mortal sin, the first thing you should do is make an act of contrition immediately, being sorry for having offended God first and foremost. Then go and receive a sacramental confession from a Priest with valid orders as soon as possible (making sure you are not withholding anything you are aware of). If you were going to a Novus Ordo meeting hall then this is your grace to get out. A Priest can restrict reception of the Holy Eucharist (for a time) as a penance, but he cannot refuse you sacramental confession, provided you are sincere.
God wants us all to reach a certain level of sanctity. For some it's more and for others less. It is true that the more grace we have the happier we will be in heaven but it's not mechanical. 

You don't just say one mass and receive 23 grace until you reach some quota. It doesn't work like that.

Saint Augustine is a good example, he was hardly your model of virtue but after he repented he became one of the greatest saints of all time. God used even his sins as a form of sanctification.
(07-26-2018, 12:08 PM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]God wants us all to reach a certain level of sanctity. For some it's more and for others less. It is true that the more grace we have the happier we will be in heaven but it's not mechanical. 

You don't just say one mass and receive 23 grace until you reach some quota. It doesn't work like that.

Saint Augustine is a good example, he was hardly your model of virtue but after he repented he became one of the greatest saints of all time. God used even his sins as a form of sanctification.

Okay I think it's important that you pointed out how it's not mechanical, I think this is just a flaw in how I think overall about certain parts of my faith.
So, would I be correct in assuming that what you detail above (a) happened a TLM parish, and (b) you agree that it was indeed of a very serious nature?  If so, I would not take what you did lightly.  Listen to the priest, and give it some more time.  Go to confession if you haven't already done so.  And possibly reflect upon the situation, praying for guidance and/or the strength to make whatever change necessary.
Pages: 1 2