FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Are Melkite Catholics orthodox?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm considering visiting a Melkite Greek Catholic church. Are they generally orthodox/conservative? I usually attend SSPX chapels. What are the differences between Melkite DL and the Tridentine Mass? Do women wear veils at Melkite parishes?
(07-25-2018, 12:53 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm considering visiting a Melkite Greek Catholic church. Are they generally orthodox/conservative? I usually attend SSPX chapels. What are the differences between Melkite DL and the Tridentine Mass? Do women wear veils at Melkite parishes?

It depends on the parish.  My parish (Holy Transfiguration in McLean, VA - DC metro area) is indistinguishable from an Eastern Orthodox parish, except for the remembrance of the pope.  In some of the most ethnic parishes, they allow girls to acolyte, but you'll never have a clown mass or some of the more disturbing abuses you may find in the NO (at least, not yet).  There aren't as many Melkite parishes in the country as there are Ruthenian or Ukrainians, so we tend to hold a little closer to our traditions.

The first time I attended a Tridentine high mass, I realized very quickly that the framework of the liturgy is very similar to the DL we use - the TLM is much closer to the DL in this regard than it is to the NO.  As far as women wearing veils, you probably won't see many women wearing lacy chapel veils, although there may be a few.  You're more likely to see women wearing the same head-coverings that Orthodox women wear, but you're even more likely to see women not wearing a head covering at all.

What area do you live in?  There probably isn't more than one Melkite parish in your area, unless you're in New England or Southern California.  Our bishop is lenient on girls serving on the altar, but other than that, he is fairly orthodox - he wouldn't let a parish that wanted to read the epistle reading from a digital tablet, for example.

Do you have any other questions about the Melkite church?  I've only been to the parish I attend, but I can probably answer most of the questions you may have.  Have you ever been to a Byzantine DL of another church?
(07-25-2018, 01:15 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2018, 12:53 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm considering visiting a Melkite Greek Catholic church. Are they generally orthodox/conservative? I usually attend SSPX chapels. What are the differences between Melkite DL and the Tridentine Mass? Do women wear veils at Melkite parishes?

It depends on the parish.  My parish (Holy Transfiguration in McLean, VA - DC metro area) is indistinguishable from an Eastern Orthodox parish, except for the remembrance of the pope.  In some of the most ethnic parishes, they allow girls to acolyte, but you'll never have a clown mass or some of the more disturbing abuses you may find in the NO (at least, not yet).  There aren't as many Melkite parishes in the country as there are Ruthenian or Ukrainians, so we tend to hold a little closer to our traditions.

The first time I attended a Tridentine high mass, I realized very quickly that the framework of the liturgy is very similar to the DL we use - the TLM is much closer to the DL in this regard than it is to the NO.  As far as women wearing veils, you probably won't see many women wearing lacy chapel veils, although there may be a few.  You're more likely to see women wearing the same head-coverings that Orthodox women wear, but you're even more likely to see women not wearing a head covering at all.

What area do you live in?  There probably isn't more than one Melkite parish in your area, unless you're in New England or Southern California.  Our bishop is lenient on girls serving on the altar, but other than that, he is fairly orthodox - he wouldn't let a parish that wanted to read the epistle reading from a digital tablet, for example.

Do you have any other questions about the Melkite church?  I've only been to the parish I attend, but I can probably answer most of the questions you may have.  Have you ever been to a Byzantine DL of another church?
That's actually the one I'm thinking of visiting!
(07-25-2018, 01:23 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]That's actually the one I'm thinking of visiting!

Well, you're welcome any time!  Definitely try to come for our food festival over Labor Day weekend!

I didn't realize there was an SSPX parish in the DC area?  Where is it?
(07-25-2018, 01:44 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2018, 01:23 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]That's actually the one I'm thinking of visiting!

Well, you're welcome any time!  Definitely try to come for our food festival over Labor Day weekend!

I didn't realize there was an SSPX parish in the DC area?  Where is it?

Actually, I live in Richmond. I'm going to be a student at Catholic University  this fall, and I'm trying to figure out where I'll go to Mass while at CUA. I'm not going to an indult  or FSSP. There is an SSPX Mission parish in Falls Church, but I doubt it has much of a parish life. Either I'm going to the Melkite church or I'm going to figure out a way to get back to Richmond on Sundays for Mass.
Just so you're aware: we tend to keep people  Sticking tongue out at you
(07-25-2018, 02:53 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]Just so you're aware: we tend to keep people  Sticking tongue out at you

What do you mean?
(07-25-2018, 02:55 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2018, 02:53 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]Just so you're aware: we tend to keep people  Sticking tongue out at you

What do you mean?

Just that people like it so much that they stay, as long as they're living in the DC area.  There are a number of families who started out in a TLM parish and were curious about tradition in the other rites of the Church, and then they never left.  We're kind of like a good version of the Hotel California.  We even have a few people who are or were Eastern Orthodox and decided they like us better than their own Orthodox parish.  It's the Magnet of McLean.

The priest at HT is also verrrry orthodox.
(07-25-2018, 01:54 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I live in Richmond. I'm going to be a student at Catholic University  this fall, and I'm trying to figure out where I'll go to Mass while at CUA. I'm not going to an indult  or FSSP. There is an SSPX Mission parish in Falls Church, but I doubt it has much of a parish life. Either I'm going to the Melkite church or I'm going to figure out a way to get back to Richmond on Sundays for Mass.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have against the FSSP?
If I'm ever in your area, Melkite, I will have to visit. There aren't any Eastern Catholic churches that I'm aware of near me.
Pages: 1 2