FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Holding back the $
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Peace.....there were very good suggestions received from a Canon Lawyer, on Church Militant "Download" today; several ways to support your Parish while not having the Bishop's get access to the money.  Most of this applies to USA, however I believe it would be effective in Canada also!  I really appreciated the information and coming from a Canonist. The whole segment on Download is good, however the topic of holding back $ comes approx at the 23 minutes.  The reason I am not linking it here is because there is some graphic conversation during the program about Cardinal McKarrick.
 God bless, angeltime Heart
Adding to the topic, a couple of articles from Regina Magazine.

That's My Money, Your Excellency-Closing Our Wallets on the Lavender Mafia

SAFE SPACES FOR CATHOLIC MONEY  

They're promising more articles with other hints, Orders, charities, etc.
(07-27-2018, 02:25 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....there were very good suggestions received from a Canon Lawyer, on Church Militant "Download" today; several ways to support your Parish while not having the Bishop's get access to the money.  Most of this applies to USA, however I believe it would be effective in Canada also!  I really appreciated the information and coming from a Canonist. The whole segment on Download is good, however the topic of holding back $ comes approx at the 23 minutes.  The reason I am not linking it here is because there is some graphic conversation during the program about Cardinal McKarrick.
 God bless, angeltime Heart

Will have to check that out - thank you!

That sounds like the combination I'm interested in - support our Parish, but don't give to those higher up that don't know what to do with it.  

Our priest was laying the pressure on at the end of Mass recently, as we were short of the diocesan whatever it is annual demands.  We didn't give a nickel, and won't until I see they get a clue.
Our church was 30% below target in the Diocesan Appeal . . . got a letter from the pastor asking us to do our part.

I've never known this church to not hit target . . . so I do feel word is out and the faithful are fighting back.
(07-27-2018, 06:29 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: [ -> ]Our church was 30% below target in the Diocesan Appeal . . . got a letter from the pastor asking us to do our part.

I've never known this church to not hit target . . .  so I do feel word is out and the faithful are fighting back.

Peace.....I've noticed the same here!  Well, the news is out and more people are taking a stand - they work hard for their money and prices are up and if one has children and all their sports etc to belong to, they are not willing to throw money to the shinnanigans of others.  I see that people can support their local parish and not have to be concerned so much about the next several layers!  The parishes might get more volunteers this way too.....God bless, angeltime Heart
All the Catechism says is that we shall provide for the needs of the Church. There are lots of ways to do that without giving cash to your Parish to pass on to the Diocese and questionable 'charities' like Catholic Relief Services.
(07-27-2018, 07:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]All the Catechism says is that we shall provide for the needs of the Church. There are lots of ways to do that without giving cash to your Parish to pass on to the Diocese and questionable 'charities' like Catholic Relief Services.
Peace.....I don't know if you saw the Church Militant segment "Download" where the panel is discussing this topic, however one person they know has been holding back/saving collection until the 52nd week of the year - this collection the Bishop doesn't get or get a % of.  He gets 8% of Sunday collections and all of the Bishops' Special Collections.  Others are writing a cheque to the priest directly to use for the parish while others are marking envelopes for exactly what they want the money to go to - flowers, candles, new floor etc.  So, if one can frugally work around those and offer to do other things as well, I think the mission will be accomplished!  God bless, angeltime Heart
If you read the comments in those Regina articles I linked to there are suggestions in there as well.
(07-27-2018, 08:10 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]If you read the comments in those Regina articles I linked to there are suggestions in there as well.
Peace.....yes, I saw and tks!  God bless, angeltime Heart
This is the one way they may listen. I listened to the Download - it was good - thanks for bringing it to my attention!

We have the Service Appeal here. They do show the cheesy video with the Bishop, telling little stories and video of kids, and then he asks for more money. We don't hear from the Bishop hardly ever outside the service appeal - so people that only take time to talk to you when the need cash, generally I don't consider them friends.

When our parish was a little short, the priest asked we give more otherwise he has to write a check from the parish funds, and he said his hand shakes when he has to write a check like that.

Hmmmm - he won't preach with conviction on abortion, birth control, homosexuality, our duty to evangelize - but cashHuh? I think he mentioned that more than once.

I think this is a great way to get them to listen - they are so detached from reality , they can't even see how detached they are - it's that far away!

My family gave ZERO to the Service Appeal this year - only thing I did wrong was I should have put a letter explaining why in the envelope and sent it to them.