FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: My grandfather has passed (amazing story, and a question.)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My grandfather died just before 4 PM.  He received the Catholic Last Rites, and even an additional absolution.  Just moments before dying, a priest came in and sung a hymn.  My grandfather passed away as the last words were sung.  It was amazing and utterly beautiful.

Anyways, my parents and aunts and uncles are arranging an ANGLICAN service for him...  he was supposedly a practicing Anglican for most his life, until he married my nan.

If this goes through, and it ends up being an Anglican service, can I attendHuh?  This is honestly killing me.
(08-04-2018, 05:56 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]My grandfather died just before 4 PM.  He received the Catholic Last Rites, and even an additional absolution.  Just moments before dying, a priest came in and sung a hymn.  My grandfather passed away as the last words were sung.  It was amazing and utterly beautiful.

Anyways, my parents and aunts and uncles are arranging an ANGLICAN service for him...  he was supposedly a practicing Anglican for most his life, until he married my nan.

If this goes through, and it ends up being an Anglican service, can I attendHuh?  This is honestly killing me.
Peace.....sorry about your dear grandfather.  He had a peaceful & beautiful passing.

My heart says you should be there with your family and pay respects to your grandfather.

As for Rules, I really don't know in this situation.  Someone else will advise you more than likely.

God bless; you are in prayer.  angeltime Heart
I remember watching a part of CNN's coverage of Hafas al Assad's funeral. Diplomats from all over the world came to pay their respects. A good number of them were apparently Catholics. I could tell because they would approach the coffin, make the sign of the cross, and say a brief prayer. IF all these Catholics can go to this man's funeral I think it would be ok for you to go to your grandfather's funeral.
I will join you in praying for the repose of his soul. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.
Pray Pray Pray
If he was a practicing Catholic, I would not go to the funeral if it is a non-Catholic service.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Crediti Propter. Regardless of his religious practice during his life. He died a Catholic, we can assume, in a State of Grace, having received Extreme Unction. It is ridiculous and an insult to the Church in which he died that he should have a heretical, protestant funeral. I would not attend, and I would explain why in a non-confrontational way.
I'm going to concur with Jovan and Credidi Propter.  

If a Catholic priest offered Extreme Unction, additional absolution, and sung as he passed, I'd suggest talking to said priest to see if there's anything that can be done post "service", since others seem set on a non-Catholic funeral.