FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Psalms to read.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Peace.....Psalm 148 - For He spake and they were made; He commanded, and they were created.  
                               He hath established them forever, even forever and ever; He hath made a decree,
                               and it shall NOT pass away.
                               Praise the Lord from the earth, ye dragons and all deeps.

Psalm 108 - who will trample our foes

7 Penitential Psalms - 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130 & 143

(Douay Rheims)       - 6, 31, 37, 50, 101,129 & 142 vs. 1-11

*Time for sackcloth and ashes

God bless, angeltime Heart
Too bad they got rid of Psalm 108, an expression of God's judgment and punishment of evil.

But I suppose they had to remove it from the Liturgy of the Hours. Can't have the clergy praying, "Fiant dies ejus pauci: et episcopátum ejus accípiat alter." God might just take them up on that.
(08-06-2018, 03:36 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Too bad they got rid of Psalm 108, an expression of God's judgment and punishment of evil.

But I suppose they had to remove it from the Liturgy of the Hours. Can't have the clergy praying, "Fiant dies ejus pauci: et episcopátum ejus accípiat alter." God might just take them up on that.
Peace.....are you referring to Ps 108 - Deus, Laudem meam?  I just read it in Douay Rheims Bible.  It does sound very stern!  God bless, angeltime Heart
(08-06-2018, 03:42 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....are you referring to Ps 108 - Deus, Laudem meam?  I just read it in Douay Rheims Bible.  It does sound very stern!  God bless, angeltime Heart

That's the one. They'd call it 109, as the LOTH follows the Hebrew numbering, but what I like to call 'the real' 109 is Dixit Dóminus, the first from Sunday Vespers. The difference is that the traditional Catholic numbering follows the Greek Septuagint, not the Hebrew Masoretic text which wasn't put together until centuries after Christ.

The LOTH also completely omits Psalms 57 and 82, both of which speak of God's justice and his destruction of the enemies of His people. A bunch of verses from other Psalms are also omitted, perhaps most notably Psalm 136's verses about Babylon and its children. Here's the list. (It uses the Hebrew numbering, generally, subtract one. Psalm 116 (new 117) is the one with two verses; 118 (new 119) is the big giant long one.)

And, while it's not a Psalm, don't forget the removal from the liturgy of perhaps the best hymn ever written, certainly the best on judgment, the Dies iræ. Maybe that's for the best, though. We wouldn't want people thinking about death at a funeral, certainly not their own death. Might disrupt the canonisation vibe that the new funeral Mass usually has going on.
(08-06-2018, 04:05 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2018, 03:42 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....are you referring to Ps 108 - Deus, Laudem meam?  I just read it in Douay Rheims Bible.  It does sound very stern!  God bless, angeltime Heart

That's the one. They'd call it 109, as the LOTH follows the Hebrew numbering, but what I like to call 'the real' 109 is Dixit Dóminus, the first from Sunday Vespers. The difference is that the traditional Catholic numbering follows the Greek Septuagint, not the Hebrew Masoretic text which wasn't put together until centuries after Christ.

The LOTH also completely omits Psalms 57 and 82, both of which speak of God's justice and his destruction of the enemies of His people. A bunch of verses from other Psalms are also omitted, perhaps most notably Psalm 136's verses about Babylon and its children. Here's the list. (It uses the Hebrew numbering, generally, subtract one. Psalm 116 (new 117) is the one with two verses; 118 (new 119) is the big giant long one.)

And, while it's not a Psalm, don't forget the removal from the liturgy of perhaps the best hymn ever written, certainly the best on judgment, the Dies iræ. Maybe that's for the best, though. We wouldn't want people thinking about death at a funeral, certainly not their own death. Might disrupt the canonisation vibe that the new funeral Mass usually has going on.
Peace.....that is absolutely terrible that these vs and ps were left out or removed!  One is distress or just identifying with evil and opposition could greatly benefit from these vs and ps.  I am so thankful I was told about the Douay Rheims Bible; I just don't trust now.  I have the 4-volume Liturgy of the Hours but recently started reading and praying with the Little Office of the BVM revised by an FSSP priest.  It contains both Latin and English and some Greg hymns.  Also, there are scripture passages from D. Rheims and since 1568 was included in the Roman Breviary.  There are some monks who still include it in their prayers.  It was also used during the great persecution where everyone was praying the Little Office BVM for help which eventually came from our Bl Mother!  I bought it from Baronius Press.  God bless, angeltime Heart
The removal of these beautiful and powerful verses is one of the greater (and overlooked)  tragedies of the new liturgy. Really shows what kind of Christianity these people sought to build: soft and weak-willed, knowing nothing of justice, righteous anger or conflict. 

Fr. Felix Just's (I assume he wrote the intro to that list of removed verses Paul posted) assertion that the psalms go against the teachings of Christ flies in the face of Catholic teaching which holds both testaments to be divinely inspired, and further, tradition holds the psalms in especially high esteem as showing the mysteries the Christ.
(08-06-2018, 05:33 PM)Florus Wrote: [ -> ]The removal of these beautiful and powerful verses is one of the greater (and overlooked)  tragedies of the new liturgy. Really shows what kind of Christianity these people sought to build: soft and weak-willed, knowing nothing of justice, righteous anger or conflict. 

Fr. Felix Just's (I assume he wrote the intro to that list of removed verses Paul posted) assertion that the psalms go against the teachings of Christ flies in the face of Catholic teaching which holds both testaments to be divinely inspired, and further, tradition holds the psalms in especially high esteem as showing the mysteries the Christ.

Peace.....I don't agree with something that has been approved for centuries while providing prayer, spiritual life and knowledge simply being removed.  Changes shouldn't involve removal but addition to.  Yet scripture says too we are not to add one word or take away.  So, what is going on here??  Diabolical Disorientation!
(08-06-2018, 04:18 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....that is absolutely terrible that these vs and ps were left out or removed!  One is distress or just identifying with evil and opposition could greatly benefit from these vs and ps.  I am so thankful I was told about the Douay Rheims Bible; I just don't trust now.  I have the 4-volume Liturgy of the Hours but recently started reading and praying with the Little Office of the BVM revised by an FSSP priest.  It contains both Latin and English and some Greg hymns.  Also, there are scripture passages from D. Rheims and since 1568 was included in the Roman Breviary.  There are some monks who still include it in their prayers.  It was also used during the great persecution where everyone was praying the Little Office BVM for help which eventually came from our Bl Mother!  I bought it from Baronius Press.  God bless, angeltime Heart

The Little Office is a good alternative to the Divine Office for those whose Latin isn't great or want something simpler or just want to pray something simpler than the full Office, which can get rather complicated. It used to be obligatory for clergy but hasn't been since 1911, although it's still printed in the back of the Breviary along with the Office of the Dead.

I don't recommend the Liturgy of the Hours primarily because it censors the Psalms, but also follows the new calendar and is part of the revised liturgy. I have it in both English and Latin but don't pray it so I'm not sure how good the readings are. I do know they've cut out all the readings about the lives of the saints, what used to be the second Nocturn. It also includes hymns like 'A Mighty Fortress is Our God' which, being by Martin Luther, should have no place in the Catholic liturgy even if it's otherwise orthodox. It's one thing to have a hymn translated into English by some Anglican priest, but this is Martin Luther we're talking about. St Martin Luther, I have little doubt, if certain Popes had their way, but God won't let that one happen.
Peace.....for quite some time now, I was praying the Divine Office from Divinum Officium (I probably spelled that incorrectly) and it was really good - so much to choose from in terms of years, language etc.  
HeartThe reason a friend and I are praying with the Little Office now, is because we wanted something simple to use when we are praying together, but also because the Bl Mother has called us to more prayer, penance and fasting.  We are using this book to honor her throughout the day and evening!  The earlier version has much more than the new modern version.  This book was my very first prayer book years ago and now I am using it again, but the earlier one - which I am happy to know about!  It is very sad about the watering down of our faith and traditions - such an insult to so much beauty and richness!   God bless, angeltime Heart
(08-06-2018, 05:38 PM)angeltime Wrote: [ -> ]Peace.....I don't agree with something that has been approved for centuries while providing prayer, spiritual life and knowledge simply being removed.  Changes shouldn't involve removal but addition to.  Yet scripture says too we are not to add one word or take away.  So, what is going on here??  Diabolical Disorientation!

I don't disagree that it's diabolical disorientation, but the verse about Scripture doesn't apply. Those Psalms are still in the Bible, just not in the liturgy, and plenty of parts of the Bible are left out of the liturgy. Apparently the Church didn't think we needed to read about how God gave the Philistines haemorrhoids for stealing the Ark of the Covenant, as all mention of them has been removed from the readings at Matins, on Friday and Saturday within the Octave of Corpus Christi. So changing some parts of Scripture isn't entirely new (the Domine, non sum dignus at Mass is another example, substituting 'anima mea' for 'puer meus'), but softening the new liturgy to be all about mercy and never about justice goes far beyond that, as Florus noted, and really does show the mind of the reformers as to the sort of Christianity they want.
Pages: 1 2