FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Philosophical Views
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What view is yours? Why is it the right one?
(08-17-2018, 11:51 AM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]What view is yours? Why is it the right one?

Perhaps it would help to briefly (paragraph or less) explain each one, so that those without a formal background in philosophy know what those terms mean.
(08-17-2018, 01:58 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2018, 11:51 AM)ServusDei Wrote: [ -> ]What view is yours? Why is it the right one?

Perhaps it would help to briefly (paragraph or less) explain each one, so that those without a formal background in philosophy know what those terms mean.

Agreed. I like to pretend I'm smart and know stuff, but I don't actually know what any of this means.

Perhaps if one does not know what those terms mean, it's not a good idea that they give an opinion on which one is right.
Maybe, but it’s a public forum where people of all sorts of backgrounds come to discuss the faith. Audience awareness is important. Some people here are well-educated in philosophy and theology. Others aren’t.
(08-17-2018, 05:04 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]

Perhaps if one does not know what those terms mean, it's not a good idea that they give an opinion on which one is right.

Oof. I forgot that your opinion doesn't count on an internet forum if you don't know the definitions of terms.
(08-17-2018, 05:58 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: [ -> ]Oof. I forgot that your opinion doesn't count on an internet forum if you don't know the definitions of terms.

MM is right.  Yes, this is a forum, but it still isn't prudent for people who don't know what they're talking about to misrepresent things like this and give readers and lurkers a false impression about what the Church, or various branches of philosophy teach.  It's one thing to give an opinion about what one thinks about a particular aspect of a given philosophy in the context of a specific situation.  It's an entirely different thing to speak about an entire philosophical school if one hasn't been highly educated about them.
(08-17-2018, 05:58 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2018, 05:04 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]

Oof. I forgot that your opinion doesn't count on an internet forum if you don't know the definitions of terms.

One's opinion doesn't count if one does not know what he's talking about. Period.

An opinion, by definition, is probable knowledge gained by experience applied by reason to a concrete situation.

If I see a man walk into a bakery and then walk out with a loaf of bread, experience shows that he probably purchased the loaf. It is improbable that someone walk in, shoot the clerk a take a loaf of bread, then walk calmly out of the shop. Possible, but not usual. Also improbable : that he walked in and baked the loaf in the 5 minutes he was inside. 

Seeing this action, having personal experience, knowing the mores of society and having at least a bit of common sense (I don't claim much), I then form an opinion--a knowledge of what's happened--based on my personal experience, common experience and morals and common sense.

If one has little, if any personal experience, has no reference to common experience and perhaps lacks common sense, then it's hard to suggest that his "opinion" is in any way valuable or useful.

It would be far better to discuss the subjects and schools of philosophy mentioned in detail so we could all perhaps learn a bit more, and those who have more experience could contribute (and we're all better off), than ask in such a manner that a nutter who thinks the world is going to end on his birthday (don't laugh we've had those) and a Doctor of Philosophy (I think we've had at least one pass through the forum) get the same vote.

As Alexander Pope wrote :

A little learning is a dangerous thing; 
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: 
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, 
and drinking largely sobers us again.

(A aside as a pet peeve : "draught" is pronounced the same as, and is just an alternate spelling for "draft"--the kind which tastes very nice in a cold pint glass. It is not pronounced "drawt" -- thus it is a miraculous "draft of fishes" even if it is spelled "draught of fishes").
(08-17-2018, 06:59 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2018, 05:58 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: [ -> ]Oof. I forgot that your opinion doesn't count on an internet forum if you don't know the definitions of terms.

MM is right.  Yes, this is a forum, but it still isn't prudent for people who don't know what they're talking about to misrepresent things like this and give readers and lurkers a false impression about what the Church, or various branches of philosophy teach.  It's one thing to give an opinion about what one thinks about a particular aspect of a given philosophy in the context of a specific situation.  It's an entirely different thing to speak about an entire philosophical school if one hasn't been highly educated about them.

Melkite ... do you realize that we've been agreeing on a number of things recently ... something must be in the water, or maybe just in the world of Ideal Forms.  :D
(08-17-2018, 06:59 PM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]

That’s why I asked for a brief explanation of terms. Like I said, audience awareness is important.
Pages: 1 2