FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Boston Bishop to Do 24 Hours Penance and Adoration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbenc...dO1b60b.01

This is something exceptional, from my longtime Facebook friend Bishop Robert Reed in Boston, a bulletin announcement from him that’s been picked up by The Anchoress: 

Quote:A couple years ago, on a Monday morning, I was informed that I had been named a bishop. When I accepted, I was conscious of the fact that, I also would have to accept whatever the future held with a complete openness to God’s will; much like in a marriage, or when I was ordained a priest.

These days, I find myself deeply disturbed by what is happening in the Church. I know the bishops must act decisively and that the action needs to be thorough, transparent, professional and in cooperation with competent laypeople. But still, I ask the question: what can I do?

All I know is that I can pray and do penance. To that end, and as your pastor, I commit myself to a full day and night of public penance.

On Monday, September 24, 2018, I will celebrate the 9 o’clock Mass in Saint Ann Church as I usually do. Following that Mass I will expose the Blessed Sacrament and remain there in prayer and fasting until the next morning, concluding this period of prayer and penance with the celebration of the 9:00 am Mass on Tuesday.

All throughout this period, the church will remain open. You are most welcome to join me in prayer for a few minutes or for a full hour. In fact, I would welcome your presence as I do the only things I know to do in the face of evil; prayer and penance.

Most sincerely,

Bishop Reed

A good and holy prelate, coming before the people of God, his sheep, in actual and real humility (something Francis can learn about) and saying that he will do whatever is in his power, putting actual actions into place to do that, and then doing it. I have never heard of this guy, but I love him already.
yeah i cant really be as excited as you are about this bishop. and i cant give clergy the title of holy, ( personally ) and I personally doubt the church just appoints someone as being holy simply because of a vocation, it would be silly to do the same to say someone who is a doctor, judge, police officer, solider, to hold them up in some kind superior level above others just because of their vocation. At least to me.

It is noble though that this bishop is going to this level of prayer, i dont know if i personally can consider it a form of penance to sit in the grace of Jesus in Adoration for 24 hrs in prayer, and seems to me there is some where in scripture about making a public scene of fasting and or prayer and etc. It just comes off as hey look at me everyone.
What about the layity already going to adoration on their own, and sticking to a prayerful life ? That aren't making things public, where is the atta boy for them and all this praise of labeling someone holy.

that is my point.

it detracts when making a spectacle of things in this manner even with the best of intentions. And the squeaky wheel gets fixed, if these bishops want to make any form of penance, they will become as vocal as the people they are supposed to shepard and do so not only in their respective dioceses but go directly to Rome and be vocal. And pray.

An this may come off as harsh but it isn't a personal attack. It is just the level of corruption the church is facing, can no longer be swept under the rug, and just prayed away. Shepards just don't cry wolf, and sound a bell when a wolf or predator tries to attack his flock he takes action, he attacks the wolf or at the very least he tries to scare the wolf away, but doesn't lay down and pray the wolf away and let the wolf attack his flock.
Is my view harsh and very critical , yes, and so is the situation at hand.
(08-29-2018, 09:15 AM)originalscreenname Wrote: [ -> ]yeah i cant really be as excited as you are about this bishop. and i cant give clergy the title of holy, ( personally )  and I personally doubt the church just appoints someone as being holy simply because of a vocation, it would be silly to do the same to say someone who is a doctor, judge, police officer, solider, to hold them up in some kind superior level above others just because of their vocation. At least to me.

It is  noble though that this bishop is going to this level of prayer, i dont know if i personally can consider it a form of penance to sit in the grace of Jesus in Adoration for 24 hrs in prayer, and seems to me there is some where in scripture about making a public scene of fasting and or prayer and etc.  It just comes off as hey look at me everyone.
What about the layity already going to adoration on their own, and sticking to a prayerful life ? That aren't making things public, where is the atta boy for them and all this praise of labeling someone holy.

that is my point.

it detracts when making a spectacle of things in this manner even with the best of intentions. And the squeaky wheel gets fixed, if these bishops want to make any form of penance, they will become as vocal as the people they are supposed to shepard and do so not only  in their respective dioceses but go directly to Rome and be vocal. And pray.

An this may come off as harsh but it isn't a personal attack. It is just the level of corruption the church is facing, can no longer be swept under the rug, and just prayed away. Shepards just don't cry wolf, and sound a bell when a wolf or predator tries to attack his flock he takes action, he attacks the wolf or at the very least he tries to scare the wolf away, but doesn't lay down and pray the wolf away and let the wolf attack his flock.
Is my view harsh and very critical , yes, and so is the situation at hand.

First of all, any time in front of the Blessed Sacrament is time well spent and not wasted time. Are you saying it's more efficacious to go to Rome and be vocal there rather than spending time in front of Jesus himself? Were all the saints wrong on this? I'm also inclined to think that anyone who wants to make a spectacle of themselves would not be asking others to join him. 

It's so much easier to just sit on our butts and shoot this man and everything else down behind a computer screen, isn't it? Like that's some serious activism and difference making right there.

I welcome his actions. The rest of his tenure would remain to be seen but at the very least I think it's a good starting point for his time as bishop.
Well said, Ardent Fire! Personally, I applaud His Excellency for the example he's setting.
(09-30-2018, 08:13 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Well said, Ardent Fire! Personally, I applaud His Excellency for the example he's setting.

I agree! He's giving a model of what a Bishop should be at a time when that is desperately needed.
He is a bishop doing what bishops are supposed to do. Making an example for his flock.
This is great, does the chancery know?

Bishop Reed is one of the few bright lights in the Archdiocese of Boston.