FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: How to show appreciation to parish music director?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently I learned the music director at my home parish is being laid off (apparently the new pastor has other plans with the music). He has been directing the church choir, a tiny group of mostly retirees for about six years, and I assisted him since he first arrived. How should I and the other choir members show our appreciation? I was thinking a plaque despite the fact he's being let loose. Have a final group dinner?
I didn’t know that was a paying job. No sarcasm intended, I just truly thought Church choir directors were volunteers, with a very few exceptions. The new pastor’s music plans smack of more John Denver-esque prot sounding guitar tunes.

For a gift I’d suggest a framed church photo or plaque, signed by the choir members and a really nice dinner.
(09-26-2018, 09:16 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t know that was a paying job. No sarcasm intended, I just truly thought Church choir directors were volunteers, with a very few exceptions. The new pastor’s music plans smack of more John Denver-esque prot sounding guitar tunes.

For a gift I’d suggest a framed church photo or plaque, signed by the choir members and a really nice dinner.

Yea, it's a paid position, at least in my parish. I'm wondering why he was let go given he did all of the English masses on the weekends and even a majority of the Polish masses (just one scheduled Polish mass per Sunday) which were split between him and another (Polish) guy. I hope the music director was laid off due to budget cuts and not because the new pastor saw no need for him.

I'm not sure what direction the new pastor is going with music. I doubt that it's anything John Denver-esque given that he brought back the ringing of the alter bells during mass, which basically sat for years gathering dust under the alter servers' chairs since I first spotted them. Of course I could be wrong. There's a lot of questions going through my mind on the future of my home parish choir.
I’d take him out to dinner.
I'd buy him a gift certificate for dinner at a nice place so he can take whomever he wants.