FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Secularization of Tertiary Habits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm curious as to other's opinions on the matter of Tertiary (Lay) Habits in today's day and age.

To go from Catherine of Sienna as a patron saint of the Tertiary Dominicans (for example), who wore a tertiary habit, to modern tertiaries having their habit "secularized" (somewhat a pun) has me wondering... What has been the effect of this "evolution" of the lay order habits? 

I've always thought that it would, at least, be helpful if, in addition to the small scapular, the tertiaries of today should at least have permission to wear modest white shirts/pants/skirts and a black hoodie (maybe even a rosary being visible on their person) that bore no logos, or secular imagery whatsoever--to show that they are in the world, but not of it. IDK. I just feel like, with the trials we are facing today, we need all the witness we can get--especially from the orthodox Catholic community who are members of tertiary orders. Like many practices in the Faith, the external manifestation of It is often the very thing that inspires and converts souls, especially those who aren't graced with subtle discernment of others. 

Pax.
Well, as a Carmelite Tertiary, my scapular isn't exactly 'small'. Here's mine, hanging over my laptop screen:

[Image: IMG_20180901_014502.jpg]

I don't know when the 'secularisation' happened, but it's definitely not a V II thing. The old pre-Conciliar Tertiaries Rule prescribes a scapular the size of mine.

And why would you need permission to wear the outfit you describe?
(09-29-2018, 08:19 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, as a Carmelite Tertiary, my scapular isn't exactly 'small'. Here's mine, hanging over my laptop screen:

[Image: IMG_20180901_014502.jpg]

I don't know when the 'secularisation' happened, but it's definitely not a V II thing. The old pre-Conciliar Tertiaries Rule prescribes a scapular the size of mine.

Where did you receive your scapular? Which community? And do they permit isolated tertiaries?
[quote pid='1386960' dateline='1538418328']
(09-29-2018, 08:19 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

[/quote]

Very good point ^_^
(10-01-2018, 02:25 PM)j.alphonsus Wrote: [ -> ]Where did you receive your scapular? Which community? And do they permit isolated tertiaries?

The one I wear was handmade for me by my daughter. I am a Tertiary of the Carmelites of the Ancient Observance, O.Carm., and yes, they permit isolates. I have never been near enough to an established group to be a part of one.
However, check your PMs.