FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Please help — did I fulfill my Sunday obligation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I suspect I’m being scrupulous.
Anyway I was on time for Mass (arrived about 5 mins before Mass), and also stayed well after the priest left the altar.  
However, at the Offerstory I had to briefly run to the bathroom to answer a fairly urgent text from my mother (it was of a medical nature).  When I came back to the pew, the veil was already taken off the chalice.

Did I fulfill my obligation?

I asked the priest after if I had, and he said I was OK, although I’m not convinced I explained it well.
(09-30-2018, 11:00 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect I’m being scrupulous.
Anyway I was on time for Mass (arrived about 5 mins before Mass), and also stayed well after the priest left the altar.  
However, at the Offerstory I had to briefly run to the bathroom to answer a fairly urgent text from my mother (it was of a medical nature).  When I came back to the pew, the veil was already taken off the chalice.

I asked the priest after if I had, and he said I was OK, although I’m not convinced I explained it well.

I cannot say, I am not a canonist. However given your circumstances, I say trust your priest. You wouldn't have answered the text if it wasn't grave matter (in this case, your mother's health). You briefly stepped out to engage in a charitable act, that is allowed on Sunday.

I'd say in my personal opinion that your priest is right and you fulfilled your Obligation.

Now with that said, I'm off to do mine...and it's the Spanish Mass too (and I have to work today), so please pray for me as I endure this insufferable penance.
I'm not a manualist but it sounds to me like you did. I'd trust the Priest.
Thank you both!
(09-30-2018, 11:00 AM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect I’m being scrupulous.

What I'm thinking of is the many mothers with several small children -- babies, toddlers, preschoolers and school-aged kids, all with them at every Mass, and very often Mama has to take one or more of the little ones out at any point during the Mass. Think of the Herculean effort these mothers make just to get their entire brood to Mass every Sunday. I don't know the official rule here, but I would hate to think that after all of that faithful effort, being in the bathroom or the nave (? is that what it's called?) or even outside in the yard with them when it's necessary, during any part of the Mass, would constitute their not fulfilling their obligation. Anyone please correct me, if I'm way off here.