FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "Christian Prayer" Orthodox?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the orthodoxy of the content of the book "Christian Prayer". Good to use for a short breviary for the laity? Or are we better off using the Little Office?

Pax.
'Orthodox'? Probably yes. Optimal? Definitely not! I used Christian Prayer years ago. I had an Anglican friend who used the Anglican Breviary, basically the Roman Breviary of St Pius X translated into Jacobean English. We swapped for a week or two. He demanded we trade back, calling Christian Prayer 'McOffice'. I moved on to the pre Vatican II Little Office (according to the Carmelite Rite) and the Roman Breviary shortly after using the Anglican Breviary, and I've never looked back.
The Little Office is very trustworthy and backed by centuries of tradition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I’d just stick with the traditional Breviary. If you want to keep it simpler, you could pray the Little Office of the Virgin Mary. I’d change it up a bit though and pray the Office of the Dead and some other offices like that sometimes too.
And, of course, the Traditional Roman Breviary, the Office of the Dead, and the Little Office of the BVM are all available at Divinum Officium, started by former Fishie Laszlo Kiss (R+I+P).
Thank you all for your thoughts.

So I have a 3-volume Divine Office from I believe 62-63. Are there any good resources for learning how to use it (to helpfully cut through the dry instructional pages of rubrics)?
I echo the sentiments above about Christian Prayer, prayed it for years. The word banal comes to mind...

Try this

https://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books/quigley/

There used to be a forum on FE dedicated to questions like yours here

https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumd...php?fid=16
I would point out that Fr Quigley's book discusses the rubrics of the 1911 Breviary of St Pius X, not the 1960 Breviary of Pope John XXIII, which it sounds like j.alphonsus has.
There are plenty of differences between the 1911 and 1960 rubrics, although the basic structure of the Office is the same, so Quigley's book may help with that. Once you know what all the parts of the Office are, it's simply a matter of selecting the right ones, either from the Psalter, the Proper, or the Common.

Reading through the Ordinary section in your Breviary will help, too.
(10-06-2018, 08:33 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I would point out that Fr Quigley's book discusses the rubrics of the 1911 Breviary of St Pius X, not the 1960 Breviary of Pope John XXIII, which it sounds like j.alphonsus has.

You are correct jovan66102