FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I'm in the Mood for a Melody
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Robert MilesChildren

Donald Byrd, Cristo Redentor

Quote:RIP Donald Byrd (From a Black Hippie and a Black Catholic Perspective)

It was 1963. That was a helluva year in retrospect.

JFK was assassinated at exactly the same time we at Our Lady of The Rosary Catholic School @ 63rd n Callowhill in West Philly were rehearsing for receiving the sacrament of The Holy Eucharist. They called it our First Holy Communion. Upon learning of the president’s death practice was aborted and we were sent home. To Catholics, JFK was like a saint.

In the midst of all of this solemnity the Gregorian Chant so associated with The Catholic Church played mournfully in the background of my life. Ironically it was also at this time that another music of equal solemnity joined what was already playing in my head. The tune was Cristo Redentor (Christ The Redeemer). The album was A New Perspective and the featured artist was a trumpet player named Donald Byrd
http://soul-patrol.com/rip-donald-byrd-f...rspective/

I didn't know Bob Davis was a Catholic (he saved my bacon on the internet once long ago)
Didn't know Maryland USA was banjo mecca or that the banjo was popularized by the Minstrel Show.

Stars and Stripes Forever - my favorite to whistle.

Ray Hesson on Banjo

Something about that twang that appeals to Americans (like the electric guitar) it's all Rock'n'Roll
Swan Lake - Ballet Suite, Op. 20 - Finale

Composer: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840-1893)

Everything that could be written or said about this piece has been, so I do not intend to add much, but simply recommend that you sit back and pay homage to a composer who was truly a genius.

This song came as a great relief in 1978, a chance to catch our collective breath, and sold ton of music boxes that Christmas, too, I think. At least I bought one for my wife to play as I sat in my wing chair smoking cheroots.

Valentina Pinheiro

Drum Cover

Thank you Frank Mills, the world wasn't in a very good place in '78 and you made it better.
The lovely Barcarolle from Jacques Offenbach`s "The Tales of Hoffmann" sung by two very talented (and beautiful) performers of the genre.

Cum dederit dilectis suis somnum,
ecce haereditas Domini, filii, merces, fructus ventris. (from Ps. 126)
One of my favorite songs that I have loved since first hearing the English translation, which is well known as "Time to say goodbye" This is the original version with Italian lyrics and translation, which I personally find more beautiful and touching. Sung of course by Andrea Bocelli!

Con Te Partiro.

Show Me The Way To Go Home 1926 Frank Crumit
Gary Brooker - Procol Harum - 1967

1971 with the Edmonton Orchestra

Never realised Conquistador was anti-Catholic. Sad because I would turn it up the when ever it came on. Sounded good too, with the reverb and rear speaker ('65 Ford Galaxy convertible).

Gray seriously cracked his skull on his 67th birthday

Gray, it's not to late...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38