FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I'm in the Mood for a Melody
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
A very lovely and romantic arrangement of "Constant Billy" from the second movement of Philip Lane's suite of Cotswold Folkdances

Something for those who like Brass and The Baroque.

John Stanley`s "Trumpet Voluntary"

Trumpet Voluntary by John Stanley - Jason Covey, trumpet; Sean Jackson, organ

Toccata from Suite Gothique by Leon Boellmann

https://soundcloud.com/johannsilvallana-...cata-suite
Californian Kate Wolf The Trumpet Vine Danish cover.

Well of St Keyne Brenda Wootten

++++++++++++++
The Well of St. Keyne

BY ROBERT SOUTHEY

A Well there is in the west country,

And a clearer one never was seen;

There is not a wife in the west country

But has heard of the Well of St. Keyne.

An oak and an elm-tree stand beside,

And behind doth an ash-tree grow,

And a willow from the bank above

Droops to the water below.

A traveller came to the Well of St. Keyne;

Joyfully he drew nigh,

For from the cock-crow he had been travelling,

And there was not a cloud in the sky.

He drank of the water so cool and clear,

For thirsty and hot was he,

And he sat down upon the bank

Under the willow-tree.

There came a man from the house hard by

At the Well to fill his pail;

On the Well-side he rested it,

And he bade the Stranger hail.

"Now art thou a bachelor, Stranger?" quoth he,

"For an if thou hast a wife,

The happiest draught thou hast drank this day

That ever thou didst in thy life.

"Or has thy good woman, if one thou hast,

Ever here in Cornwall been?

For an if she have, I'll venture my life

She has drank of the Well of St. Keyne."

"I have left a good woman who never was here."

The Stranger he made reply,

"But that my draught should be the better for that,

I pray you answer me why?"

"St. Keyne," quoth the Cornish-man, "many a time

Drank of this crystal Well,

And before the Angel summon'd her,

She laid on the water a spell.

"If the Husband of this gifted Well

Shall drink before his Wife,

A happy man thenceforth is he,

For he shall be Master for life.

"But if the Wife should drink of it first,—

God help the Husband then!"

The Stranger stoopt to the Well of St. Keyne,

And drank of the water again.

"You drank of the Well I warrant betimes?"

He to the Cornish-man said:

But the Cornish-man smiled as the Stranger spake,

And sheepishly shook his head.

"I hasten'd as soon as the wedding was done,

And left my Wife in the porch;

But i' faith she had been wiser than me,

For she took a bottle to Church."

++++++++++++++
A little background...

Quote:There was once a radiantly beautiful girl from Wales who, alongside fifteen of her brothers and sisters, was made a saint and sent to Cornwall. With golden hair and leaf green eyes St. Keyne became a lady renowned for her inventive miracles and extraordinary integrity. She spent her entire life travelling alone and unmolested, held in awe as a saint of exceptional virtue.

Nearing the end of her days, St. Keyne returned to Cornwall to retire. She settled in the Looe Valley, a place that was and still is both beautiful and tranquil. The valley lay shaded by many trees rising on bluebell banks up from the river. St. Keyne thought it would be lovely to decorate the well with a lasting emblem. She planted four trees about the spring; an oak and an elm side by side, an ash on the bank behind and a willow to sweep the pool. As they grew, St. Keyne entwined their branches so they would grow as one trunk to shroud the well. She spent a lot of time praying and delighting in the trees.

Dying, she was carried carefully to sit in her favourite place by the holy well. The sound of the spring gurgling soothed her and the deep green of her trees reflected back at her in the water. Her eyes shone with gratitude for the last strength it gave her fading spirit and she blessed the spring. That afternoon St. Keyne invited a bride and groom newly married in the nearby church to sit with her by the well. She held out two goblets and gestured for the couple to each dip one in the spring water.  When they had done so they both stood expectant for her example. St. Keyne waited, too weak to respond, and the groom thought it polite to gesture for his new wife to drink first. When she had drunk of the clear water of the well, St Keyne told of her last and most eccentric blessing:Whichever shall drink first of the Well of St. Keyne after their wedding vows are said shall be masterful of the marriage and hold the cards to its success. With this virtue her dying words St. Keyne was laid to rest, though her trees and her blessing stayed with the holy well to this day.
https://www.mazedtales.org/content/stori...l-st-keyne
Many will be aware of Tomaso Albinoni`s Adagio in G Minor, even if they are unaware of the composer (if not sure, cut and paste the details into Youtube search bar and listen) but there were many more wonderful compositions by this great composer. This is a particular favorite of mine.

Tomaso Albinoni - Oboe Concerto #2 in D Minor Op. 9

Paddy Moloney accompanying

Shenandoah
++++++++++++++
Tchaikovsky started work on the undertaking on 12 October 1880 on the heels of War and Peace to celebrate fruitful protection from Napoleon by an miraculous storm and the ensuing disastrous retreat of the seemingly invincible French Army from the razed Moscow October 19, 1812.

The Year 1812 Solemn Overture

The performance was first delayed in Moscow by the assassination of the Alexander II but later performed outside the cathedral commissioned by Tsar Alexander I to commemorate the Russian victory. Tchaikovsky himself first conducted the piece the year prior at the opening of Carnegie Hall, NYC complete with church bells and cannons in the brand new building (I guess) Must have made quite an impression because it's still an American standard (and a great song to whistle:)
++++++++++++++
*ETA* As an American if you dont like this you're probably suffering from PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) as lots of us are
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39