FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Father Ripperger drinks Scotch and smokes cigars.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is something I've heard him say in at least a couple different sermons or presentations.

This might sound absolutely ridiculous, but, at the upcoming Christmas social, I plan on drinking some Scotch and having a cigar lol.

Question is this: what level of drinking is truly considered sinful?  Is feeling relaxed and more sociable a problem? (I suspect it isn't).  What if you're more inclined to get up and do the boogie or whatever -- is that a problem? 

Clearly getting drunk, clumsy, and sick is a sin -- even a mortal one, at that.  But what constitutes an acceptable level of "feeling the alcohol"?  Seems to be a very subjective area morally.
I don't think having a couple (2) drinks and feeling more relaxed and sociable is a sinful thing, so long as it's kept within reason and you're in control.  I'd say the limit would be if you begin to lose your inhibitions due to the alcohol.
Personally, I try to drink at a level where I feel little more than the effect of being more relaxed. If I ever cross the line into buzzed I cut myself off for the night.
Ralfy explains drunkenness better than any theologian I've heard.

We know alcohol is not forbidden, so some drink is OK. I always consider it OK to the point of "feeling" the effect - buzzed and you have gone too far.
"Father Ripperger drinks Scotch and smokes cigars."

A man after my own heart.  Well, the cigar once a year.  I have a bottle of Kilchoman I'm supposed to be saving for Christmas, but it might get a preview at Thanksgiving.  
If you stop drinking and it takes you longer than 30-60 minutes to feel completely normal again, you probably drank too much.
I can see how the deplorable state of the Church can drive some good priests to drink.
Could I please suggest that you remove Father's name from the heading of your post, because it could be seen as a scandal. We must uphold the reputation of people especially when it comes to priests.

I would definitely be prudent when it comes to alcohol.
(12-03-2018, 11:55 AM)paxetbonum Wrote: [ -> ]Could I please suggest that you remove Father's name from the heading of your post, because it could be seen as a scandal. We must uphold the reputation of people especially when it comes to priests.

There's nothing morally wrong with either scotch or cigars.
Pages: 1 2