FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Plenary indulgences question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The FE page on indulgences says the following:—

Quote:If the prescribed action of the indulgence requires a visit to a church or oratory, one must visit devoutly and recite 1 Our Father and the Creed. This doesn't refer to any visits to a church for Confession or the Eucharist in order to fulfill the requirements listed above; it refers to such indulgences as those granted to the faithful for visiting a church on the day of its consecration, visiting their parochial church on its titular feast day, visiting the stational churches of Rome, etc.

What does the hilighted section mean?

My Blessed Be God prayerbook contains the following:—

Quote:[Prayer]

Plenary Ind. on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on condition of confession, communion, visit to a church or public chapel, and a prayer for the intention of the Pope.

So would I make confession, take communion, and make an additional trip to (possibly another) church?
Anyone?
Bryan, I wasn't completely clear myself, but I've asked my wife Kim (who is also part of this forum, but can't participate due to vision problems exacerbated by computer problems) and Kim has given me the following

What I understand from this highlighted section is this:

Those indulgences granted for attending a particular feast, for example, one can gain an indulgence by assisting at Holy Mass at an
Apostolate of the Institute of Christ the King on their Titular Feast day  - the Feast of Christ the King (last Sunday of October, in the
Traditional calendar) under the usual conditions.

The usual conditions mean that within eight days prior to or after the Feast itself, one must have been to confession, received Holy
Communion and prayed, in church, for the Holy Fathers intentions. 

The visits to church for Confession and reception of Holy Communion, therefore do not gain the indulgence. Only assisting at Holy Mass at the church of the Apostolate on the actual feast does.

I hope this makes it clear!
Thanks for your response, Roger. I’m afraid that doesn’t clear up my confusion.

What I’m specifically wondering about is the plenary indulgence which stipulates I ‘visit a church or oratory.’

So the ordinary conditions of a plenary indulgence are that I go to confession, receive Holy Communion (serving at which Holy Mass is preferable but not necessary), and pray for the Holy Father’s intentions.

Now this particular indulgence I mention calls for a ‘visit to a church or oratory.’ Is that in addition to that visit implied by the ordinary condition? Maybe the ordinary condition doesn’t necessarily imply a visit to a church or oratory? That is my assumption because I only ever go to confession and attend Holy Mass at a church. But maybe some people receive these sacraments somewhere else, and the particular condition of this indulgence is meant to direct those people to visit a church. I don’t know.
My priest says when I go to confession, receive Holy Communion, and pray for the intentions of the Holy Father, I also fulfill the visit to a church proper to this indulgence.

Therefore the instructions for this indulgence are redundant. The ordinary conditions fulfilled, there is no additional church visit required.
It just became clear to me on rereading the texts quoted in OP that for this indulgence I must visit a church or oratory on the Immaculate Conception. That is what the ‘visit to a church or oratory’ refers to.
And Roger, I now see that your comment actually did answer my question. Thanks! “You can lead a horse to water . . .”
Is there a scenario where “confession, communion, visit to a church or oratory” would not be redundant?
(12-16-2018, 04:04 PM)Bryan M. M. Reynolds Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a scenario where “confession, communion, visit to a church or oratory” would not be redundant?

You can receive both sacraments outside a church. Plenty of papal Masses take place in stadiums or other secular buildings, or the priest (or, more likely these days, a layperson) could bring Communion to you at home or in hospital. Or a priest could be given permission to reserve the Sacrament at his home, and give it to you after you confess to him there.
Thank you, Paul