FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Anglican Use Liturgy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is anyone here familiar with the Anglican Use Liturgy or attend their Masses?  If so, I would love to Private Message you as I have lots of questions about this.
I'm no expert, but I've studied it, and I have two friends who attend it regularly that I can shoot questions to.
About once a month I attend a Personal Ordinariate which celebrates the Anglican Use.  Not sure if I'm able to answer any of your questions, but could try.
Thanks,
Since there are some of you with some knowledge, I will post my questions in the forum.

Communion is served under both kinds in the Anglican Use.  Would it be acceptable to only receive communion under one species?  I have done this in the past but not sure if this is proper etiquette in the Anglican Use.

Is there any reading material about serving the Mass for the Anglican Use?  I am assuming it is similar to the Extraordinary Form (EF) but I am sure there are some Anglican nuances that would be missed.  I have contacted CTS but they do not have a Daily Missal yet like the EF (the Sunday Missal just came out).  Any suggestions?

I am considering becoming an Instituted Acolyte (Subdeacon) in the Ordinariate.  I am aware that it is a weekend course at the Ordinariate seminary in Houston.  My question is if anyone has any knowledge of the obligations of this Office.  Would one have to attend all Major feasts?  Would one be able to turn down serving on occasion?  My preference is the EF but would like to help out the Ordinariate while being able to attend Major Feast days at my EF parish.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
It appears the Ordinariate is a dead end and is not in the Roman Catholic Church. The last step was never taken and probably will not be, as the Vatican seems to be playing a waiting game. The problem is the Anglicans in the Ordinariate refuse to accept that Catholic means celebate unmarried priests. They want to keep their "custom", which, incidentally, nearly wrecked the Church when it was in dire need of reform starting 200 years before the Protestant Revolt of Martin Luther. To become Catholic, you must go through a Catholic rite at this time. The Ordinariate is in limbo. See Hollywood chapel of Our Lady of the Angels, which the Ordinariate lost back to the Anglicans recently. It is much better to go to a Traditional Latin Mass. Why do you want a rite that destroyed The Faith (and many churhces and abbys and monasteries and convents in England under Queen Elizabeth I ? The Faith was not legalized until the mid 1800's in England? Are you for The Faith, or a pretty ceremony?
(12-16-2018, 10:17 PM)greatdame Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is the Anglicans in the Ordinariate refuse to accept that Catholic means celebate unmarried priests. 

Wrong on two counts. 1) The Catholic Church has had married Priests for centuries in the East, and 2) new Priests in the Ordinariates are required to be celibate, just like any other Latin Rite Priest. The concession for married Anglican clerics to be ordained will end when the last of them dies.
(12-16-2018, 06:10 PM)The Black Adder Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be acceptable to only receive communion under one species?  I have done this in the past but not sure if this is proper etiquette in the Anglican Use.
I've only accepted under one species, never thinking twice about it.  However, whether that is considered 'proper etiquette' or not, I can not comment on.  I know that no one, including the priest, has ever mentioned anything about it to me.  I would think that is something which would be entirely upon you to consider.  

As for your other questions, I unfortunately can not be of any further assistance.
(12-16-2018, 10:17 PM)greatdame Wrote: [ -> ]It appears the Ordinariate is a dead end and is not in the Roman Catholic Church.  The last step was never taken and probably will not be, as the Vatican seems to be playing a waiting game.  The problem is the Anglicans in the Ordinariate refuse to accept that Catholic means celebate unmarried priests.  They want to keep their "custom", which, incidentally, nearly wrecked the Church when it was in dire need of reform starting 200 years before the Protestant Revolt of Martin Luther.  To become Catholic, you must go through a Catholic rite at this time.  The Ordinariate is in limbo.  See Hollywood chapel of Our Lady of the Angels, which the Ordinariate lost back to the Anglicans recently. It is much better to go to a Traditional Latin Mass.  Why do you want a rite that destroyed The Faith (and many churhces and abbys and monasteries and convents in England under Queen Elizabeth I ?  The Faith was not legalized  until the mid 1800's in England?  Are you for The Faith, or a pretty ceremony?

Sigh... I find (unsolicited) non-sequitur posts such as this to be in poor, poor taste.  

First off, the Anglican Use is an officially approved form of liturgy.  The personal parishes in the U.S. were founded by former members of the Episcopalian churches established by the Pastoral Provision granted by JPII in June, 1980.  This permitted the ordination of Catholic priests of married former clergy of the Episcopal Church for ministry either in such personal parishes or elsewhere in Catholic dioceses of the United States.  In December 2009, Benedict XVI issued Anglicanorum coetibus, authorizing the establishment of Personal Ordinariates for former Anglicans.  In that regard, to suggest that the Personal Ordinariates are a "...dead end and [] not in the Roman Catholic Church..." is simply erroneous and false.  If you have a personal problem with them, which based upon your screed appears to be the case, that is another matter entirely, but wholly non-responsive to The Black Adder's question.

Second, it was not any "rite" that "...destroyed The Faith..." but the acts of despots, heretics and apostates.  There is a difference.  However, along those lines, it could just as easily be argued that the Novus Ordo rite has destroyed the faith just as much, and I know from the personal accounts of others, the Anglican Use was for many the only means available to hold on to any semblance of the faith, especially in places where it was offered whereas the TLM was not.  Does that make the Anglican Use a better rite?  I suppose that would be up for debate. However, if presented with the choice of either the Anglican Use with the Roman Canon, or the Novus Ordo rite, I'd choose the former without hesitation.
Thank you for your comments.

I agree on one species.  I am glad I am not the only one who does this.  I will continue to do it.

Any information on Instituted Acolytes?  I believe The_Harlequin_King is an Acolyte with the Ordinariate but I do not have his contact information and has not been on this forum in years.

Thanks again for your help.
(12-17-2018, 04:16 PM)The Black Adder Wrote: [ -> ]I believe The_Harlequin_King is an Acolyte with the Ordinariate but I do not have his contact information and has not been on this forum in years.

We are friends on Facebook. If you like, PM me your contact information, and as soon as my 30 day ban is over, I'll send it on to him with your question.
Pages: 1 2 3