FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is there any sin in finding out the baby’s gender? (Ultrasound next week).
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I can’t see how this would possibly be a sin, but I figured I ask.

Not to be rude, but please no answers like “why would you want to find out?!”  I just want to know whether there’s any sort of sin involved.
Is the ultrasound being done for the sole purpose of determining fetal sex?
Nope.
(12-29-2018, 11:57 AM)Cyriacus Wrote: [ -> ]Is the ultrasound being done for the sole purpose of determining fetal sex?

No, also to do a check up on the baby’s health, I suppose.  Just a standard ultrasound.
Why on earth would it be a sin? I honestly can’t understand why just finding out the gender would be a sin? Even if that is all the ultrasound was used for, I still don’t know of any Catholic teaching saying finding out the sex or a child before birth is a sin.
I also don't see how it could possibly be a sin, even if you were doing the ultrasound solely for the purposes of finding out.   Why would it be?

But you can always ask a priest.  That's the best thing to do when in doubt.
There's no such thing as gender. You're asking about the baby's sex, and, no, there's no sin in finding out unless you want to murder it if it's the wrong one.

If you're asking because there's a risk to the baby from ultrasounds, there's a risk from all medical procedures, and it's probably low enough that it's worth the risk. That's a question for a doctor.
(12-29-2018, 05:18 PM)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]There's no such thing as gender. You're asking about the baby's sex, and, no, there's no sin in finding out unless you want to murder it if it's the wrong one.

If you're asking because there's a risk to the baby from ultrasounds, there's a risk from all medical procedures, and it's probably low enough that it's worth the risk. That's a question for a doctor.

There is no known risk of any complication from a normal short-length ultrasound of a child in utero. Maybe if you stuck the ultrasonic emitter on mom's stomach with duct tape and left it for a few weeks.

The only dingbats who think there are any serious risk from a minimal exposure to ultrasonic energy are the same ones who tend to try to sell you homeopathic remedies (e.g. sugar pills at a extreme markup). And of course the lack of any evidence is evidence that "they" are trying to hide the truth ...
Only nouns have gender. Humans are of one sex or the other.
OK, people, I’m trying to find out the baby’s sex.

Part of the reason I like saying “finding the baby’s gender” is because it rings home the point that sex and gender are the same thing, viz. your gender is identical to your sex.
Pages: 1 2 3