FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I was wondering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I  am a newbie, I was wondering if anyone wears a Brown Scapular? and since I am in RCIA classes I was wondering if you have to wait?
I'm guessing that the vast majority of us wear the Brown Scapular. I know of no reason you couldn't simply start wearing it, but I don't think you can be officially enrolled until you are in the Church, tho' I stand ready to be corrected. And welcome to the Tank and to the Carmelite Family. I've been a Tertiary of Carmel for over 30 years.
So you’re a Carmelite if you have a Brown scapular?
I’d say probably 90% or more of the people here do.
(01-24-2019, 01:36 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing that the vast majority of us wear the Brown Scapular. I know of no reason you couldn't simply start wearing it, but I don't think you can be officially enrolled until you are in the Church, tho' I stand ready to be corrected. And welcome to the Tank and to the Carmelite Family. I've been a Tertiary of Carmel for over 30 years.

Okay, thank you, I asked The Deacon. he said he would find out..
(01-24-2019, 06:12 PM)BCSweetie Wrote: [ -> ]So you’re a Carmelite if you have a Brown scapular?

If you've been enrolled in the Brown scapular, you are a member of the Confraternity of the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, which is part of what the two Orders call the Carmelite 'Family'.
(01-24-2019, 01:36 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing that the vast majority of us wear the Brown Scapular. I know of no reason you couldn't simply start wearing it, but I don't think you can be officially enrolled until you are in the Church, tho' I stand ready to be corrected. And welcome to the Tank and to the Carmelite Family. I've been a Tertiary of Carmel for over 30 years.

Jovan. do you pray the Little Office?
(01-24-2019, 10:20 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: [ -> ]

Jovan. do you pray the Little Office?

Either it or the Old Breviary. I have a Latin/English LOBVM according to the Carmelite Rite from before the Council.
Ug Deacon keeps forgetting to ask Father :/
A confraternity is under the present Canon Law considered an "Association of the Faithful" and dealt with in Canons 298–329.

Since it is an association of the faithful, which confers certain spiritual benefits upon said faithful should they perform the works demanded of them, membership is restricted to the faithful who qualify according to the norms of law (Canon 307 §1) as specified by the particular statues of the association.

Since non-Catholics are not considered faithful, according to Canon Law :

Quote:Can. 11 Merely ecclesiastical laws bind those who have been baptized in the Catholic Church or received into it, possess the efficient use of reason, and, unless the law expressly provides otherwise, have completed seven years of age.

it would seem that a non-Catholic cannot be enrolled in the Scapular Confraternity.

That said, there is no reason that a non-Catholic, or a catechumen, if interested, should not wear the scapular and frequently pray to Our Lady of Mt Carmel and especially pray the Rosary for the graces to become a Catholic and enjoy the benefits of being a member of the confraternity.

Once you enter the Church officially, then you can be properly enrolled in the Confraternity.
Pages: 1 2