FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: As a Catholic, how do you cope when you fail in your professional life?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-24-2019, 10:30 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]That's certainly fine. The question is only whether they did everything they could—whether they failed in their duty, not in their grades.

That's such a good point, thank you.
(01-24-2019, 05:42 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]Recently I’ve made some mistakes in my job, enough so that my manager has had to discuss the matters with me.  Thankfully, my manager is fairly patient; although she definitely demands excellence, and a very close attention to detail in handling the various files (as she should).  However, I must admit that she stresses me out rather badly, especially knowing you’re being micromanaged.

So, here’s really what I’m asking: when you put forth your best efforts — and yet, fail — how do you seek consolation?  I know that a career is only there to support my wife and children, and that a career is a mere CREATURE; yet, I take my job seriously, and failure just makes me question everything about my competence to the point of obsession.

Any counsel out there?

This doesn't sound so much like failure, as her trying to nip potential failure in the bud.  I too work with a micromanager, although thankfully, she's laid off as she's realized that I have a bit of competence.  Long story, and I digress.

My thoughts are to consider what you may have done or not done that caused mistakes.  We're human.  If it's something routine you can fix, like a distraction, then mention to the boss that you have things under control and your plan to correct it.  If she's stressing you out that much, but is patient and team-focused, you may consider "gently" bringing this to her attention.  After all, boss-induced stress isn't conducive to individual performance, which in turn drags the whole team down.

Just my thoughts, hope this makes some sense and helps.
Thanks to everyone.  Lots of awesome advise and encouragement here.
God bless.
I would say figure out where the mistakes are occuring then put your own QC process in place for that particular step(s). Also see if you are able to streamline whatever process that may be causing you to make these errors.

Setup a meeting talk about the mistakes in detail and how to move forward with your manager. You can also talk about the above with her. Set yourself up to win. There might be a reason stuff needs to be more detail oriented and you are not aware of it. Maybe you are just missing something that you need to be trained on (there is no shame in this).

All these things will in turn make your job less stressful as well.

Also communication, communication, communication with your boss. This is the big cornerstone of any job being done well in any industry.

God Bless and I wish you the best

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I once saw this on LinkedIn or something:

Reporter: How did you become so successful?
CEO: By making the right decisions.
Reporter: How do you make the right decisions?
CEO: Experience.
Reporter: How do you get experience?
CEO: By making the wrong decisions.

So as you can see, even the most successful people didn't get to where they are by making all the right decisions.  They got there, because they learned from their mistakes and then made the right decisions.  For instance, Steve Jobs was fired, and then came back with a vengeance, literally.  As many posters already said, reflect on the root cause(s) of those mistakes, learn from them, and not make them again.

As for coping, it can be hard.  As someone who's been in the business world for 15 years, I can tell you that some experiences still haunt me to this day.  But you try not to dwell on them, and try to move forward.  Easier said than done, I know, but sometimes you've got to force yourself to do that; otherwise, you'd just wallow in self pity.

Also, I would say keep your options open.  It's always better to look for your next job while you still have a job.  Sometimes the job is just not a good fit, and there are greener pastures out there, especially when the economy is good.

Best of luck to you.
Pages: 1 2