FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New to the Faith - Question, Need Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello All

I am a 31 year old male. I am currently in the middle of taking my RCIA courses to receive the rest of my sacraments before I get married in September.

I was baptized catholic when I was an infant but never received the rest of my sacraments and only went to Church occasionally on Christmas or Easter. To clarify, I am not taking my RCIA courses because I am now engaged to my fiancee, nor because my fiancee made me (who is also Catholic). I did this because I truly wanted to become closer to God. She never brought it up to me about doing this. While she has helped me become closer to God, taking these classes was 10000% on my own doing. I want to become even closer to God and I also want my family to walk in the faith. 

About 5 years ago, I had an abortion with a girl I was dating at the time (not my fiancee). It was a mutual decision to proceed with it. While this was a difficult  and stupid decision, I have regretted it ever since. I did know that abortion was frowned upon in the Catholic faith but I did not consider myself Catholic at the time. nor was I aware that you could be excommunicated for it. I have asked God everyday for forgiveness since it happened.

In a month or so, I believe I have to go to confession with my priest. Regardless of the answers provided here, I will be confessing this sin to him. Does this mean that I am excommunicated from the church once I confess? Can I not get married in the Catholic church anymore? Will I not be eligible to receive the rest of my sacraments come Easter Vigil in April? Will he excommunicate me?

If anyone could please provide clarification, that would be very helpful. Like I said, I am new to the faith and am very concerned and feel even more guilty now.
i am pretty sure Pope Francis recently declared all priests can lift the excommunication from abortion.
This is an article from ETWN on the subject: https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/abortio2.htm.  Basically, procuring or helping to procure an abortion incurs automatic excommunication.  However, if I am reading this article correctly, this excommunication would occur only if one knows that the sin/crime they are committing incurs that penalty.  If you didn't know that by helping this woman procure an abortion would result in excommunication, then while the sin is still very grave and must be confessed, you wouldn't be excommunicated.  Even if you have been excommunicated for this cooperation in a grave evil, Pope Francis, IIRC, has given all priests the authority to lift excommunications incurred for an abortion.  So, when you confess to your priest in a month, he can absolve you and lift the excommunication, if you are under that penalty.  You are not cut off from God's love or mercy as long as you repent and go to confession.  I don't see how this would prevent your confirmation this Easter Vigil or receiving other sacraments, once you have been to confession for this.
https://www.catholicnews.com/services/en...ession.cfm

yep, the Pope made it permanent that all priests can lift the excommunication of abortion after absolution.
(02-05-2019, 11:12 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]i am pretty sure Pope Francis recently declared all priests can lift the excommunication from abortion.

So what you're saying is, he will excommunicate me and I will not be able to receive my sacraments until he lifts the excommunication?
(02-05-2019, 11:15 PM)Forgiveness123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2019, 11:12 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]i am pretty sure Pope Francis recently declared all priests can lift the excommunication from abortion.

So what you're saying is, he will excommunicate me and I will not be able to receive my sacraments until he lifts the excommunication?

no, i am saying anyone who knowingly commits abortions is automatically excommunicated.  in the past to get absolution and remove the excommunication a person had to be referred by a priest to the bishop.  he would then lift the excommunication.  Pope Francis has made it so all priests can grant absolution for abortion and lift the excommunication.  so as long as you go to confession, confess your sins, the priests will absolve you and lift the excommunication.
(02-05-2019, 11:15 PM)Forgiveness123 Wrote: [ -> ]

That is not how that works.  Here is what will happen: you'll confess your sins and if you incurred excommunication for this action the priest will lift the excommunication and you will continue with your conversion process.
(02-05-2019, 11:14 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: [ -> ]This is an article from ETWN on the subject: https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/abortio2.htm.  Basically, procuring or helping to procure an abortion incurs automatic excommunication.  However, if I am reading this article correctly, this excommunication would occur only if one knows that the sin/crime they are committing incurs that penalty.  If you didn't know that by helping this woman procure an abortion would result in excommunication, then while the sin is still very grave and must be confessed, you wouldn't be excommunicated.  Even if you have been excommunicated for this cooperation in a grave evil, Pope Francis, IIRC, has given all priests the authority to lift excommunications incurred for an abortion.  So, when you confess to your priest in a month, he can absolve you and lift the excommunication, if you are under that penalty.  You are not cut off from God's love or mercy as long as you repent and go to confession.  I don't see how this would prevent your confirmation this Easter Vigil or receiving other sacraments, once you have been to confession for this.

Thank you for this SeekerofChrist. I am worried about this on many levels. I know my priest will not pass judgement but I am worried he might, that I will be excommunicated, that I cannot receive the rest of my sacraments, that I cannot get married in a Catholic church, nor upset/disappoint my fiancee....
(02-05-2019, 11:20 PM)Forgiveness123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2019, 11:14 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: [ -> ]This is an article from ETWN on the subject: https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/abortio2.htm.  Basically, procuring or helping to procure an abortion incurs automatic excommunication.  However, if I am reading this article correctly, this excommunication would occur only if one knows that the sin/crime they are committing incurs that penalty.  If you didn't know that by helping this woman procure an abortion would result in excommunication, then while the sin is still very grave and must be confessed, you wouldn't be excommunicated.  Even if you have been excommunicated for this cooperation in a grave evil, Pope Francis, IIRC, has given all priests the authority to lift excommunications incurred for an abortion.  So, when you confess to your priest in a month, he can absolve you and lift the excommunication, if you are under that penalty.  You are not cut off from God's love or mercy as long as you repent and go to confession.  I don't see how this would prevent your confirmation this Easter Vigil or receiving other sacraments, once you have been to confession for this.

Thank you for this SeekerofChrist. I am worried about this on many levels. I know my priest will not pass judgement but I am worried he might, that I will be excommunicated, that I cannot receive the rest of my sacraments, that I cannot get married in a Catholic church, nor upset/disappoint my fiancee....

You're welcome.  As far as excommunication goes, did you know you'd be excommunicated for the abortion?  It is not a question of knowing that it was a moral evil.  The specific question is, did you know that by helping procure the abortion, that the penalty of excommunication is incurred?  If you didn't, then you weren't excommunicated (but you did sin) and the priest will absolve you.  If you did know that, then the priest will absolve you and lift the excommunication, which means you will no longer be excommunicated and you will be able to receive the rest of your sacraments, get married, etc.  I'll be praying for you.
(02-05-2019, 11:24 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2019, 11:20 PM)Forgiveness123 Wrote: [ -> ]

You're welcome.  As far as excommunication goes, did you know you'd be excommunicated for the abortion?  It is not a question of knowing that it was a moral evil.  The specific question is, did you know that by helping procure the abortion, that the penalty of excommunication is incurred?  If you didn't, then you weren't excommunicated (but you did sin) and the priest will absolve you.  If you did know that, then the priest will absolve you and lift the excommunication, which means you will no longer be excommunicated and you will be able to receive the rest of your sacraments, get married, etc.  I'll be praying for you.

No. I just learned about this tonight in my RCIA course, So I did not know you could be excommunicated for this, I obiously knew it was wrong and a sin.
Pages: 1 2