FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can A Catholic Shop at Episcopalian and Salvation Army Thrift Shops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since we cannot in good conscience support false religions, would that mean that we cannot shop at thrift shops that are owned by the Episcopalians or Salvation Army?
Jaca says, Yes. Hope that helps.  :)

You can also purchase food storage from the Mormons. It's a good idea.
While I do not have a definitive yes or no I will say this … the Salvation Army is a religion. It is not just a organization that helps the down-and-out. Their doctrine promotes bodily nourishment & "creature comforts" like clothes, blankets & showers. Nothing wrong with that, but their gospel is weak denying any need for a true, deep & clear understanding of Christ & His Church. We support that when we shop there. When I shop places like that I go to Goodwill or Arc. Arc supports those with downs & other such conditions.
(02-10-2019, 04:37 PM)Dave Parrott Wrote: [ -> ]While I do not have a definitive yes or no I will say this … the Salvation Army is a religion. It is not just a organization that helps the down-and-out. Their doctrine promotes bodily nourishment & "creature comforts" like clothes, blankets & showers. Nothing wrong with that, but their gospel is weak denying any need for a true, deep & clear understanding of Christ & His Church. We support that when we shop there. When I shop places like that I go to Goodwill or Arc. Arc supports those with downs & other such conditions.

Here's the thing.  We do not support everything the Episocopals and Salvation Army supports, but we can agree that these thrift shops are basically decent ventures.  However, if my understanding is correct, both support abortion, among other things.  But if we can't do business with these thrift shops, and that's really what it is, a business transaction, then how can we justify doing business with almost any company?  Yes, we know that some of the funds may go to bad things, but how is that not true for any company, leave alone a religious organization?  Most big companies, especially in the tech industry, support all kinds of horrible things.

So, if the answer is "no", then that raises a whole lot of much more difficult questions, because I don't think it's literally possible to boycott every company that should, from a Catholic perspective, be boycotted.  You can choose lesser evils, but to truly avoid any organization that does something that contradicts the faith, you would practically have go off the grid and live in the woods as a hermit.