FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholicism? Maybe a rant.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My adult daughter just came home from the parent class for children about to receive their 1st Communion.
Father gave the class (yay!) for the parents.  But he asked a question of the parents that even my daughter was surprised by....
Along the lines of " what does the Holy Eucharist mean"?  He was asking the parents what the Eucharist was, truly.
My daughter said that about 1/2 of the parents didn't understand that the Eucharist was the actual Body of Christ - as opposed to a symbolic thing.  Can you imagineHuh???
She said that Father went thru the meaning of the Sacrament, the history of the belief, the Bible, and so on.  But can you imagine 1/2 of the parents didn't understand the difference between Catholicism and ProtestantismHuh??  It wasn't a language difference thing because they had a Spanish language class for the parents who needed that.
I am flabbergasted.
60+ years of lousy catechesis will do that. I saw a survey a few years ago, done in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Over 50% of the 'Catholics' in the Archdiocese did not believe in the Real Presence.
I get the feeling that people don't take their faith seriously enough these days. It's sad really I hope people take it upon themselves to get back in touch and give the Lord the respect he deserves. He gave up his life for us the very least we could do is understand the basic concepts of our faith and most of all the Eucharist.

I'll pray for them.  Pray Pray Pray Pray
(02-19-2019, 10:45 PM)MaryTN Wrote: [ -> ]Can you imagineHuh???

Yes. Yes, I can. 50+ years of watering down the Church's traditions and teachings, to the point that many parishes are indiscernible from the local prot church on the corner.
I was one of those people, went to mass every Sunday and attended (public) Catholic school. Had no real clue that the Eucharistic was truly the body and blood of the Lord until I was around 18 when I decided to look into it on my own.
(02-20-2019, 02:12 PM)Florus Wrote: [ -> ]I was one of those people, went to mass every Sunday and attended (public) Catholic school. Had no real clue that the Eucharistic was truly the body and blood of the Lord until I was around 18 when I decided to look into it on my own.

I went to a "Catholic" high school and honestly don't remember hearing the term transubstantiation there.  They did teach us a little about the pillars of Islam and Buddhism though.
(02-20-2019, 02:26 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2019, 02:12 PM)Florus Wrote: [ -> ]I was one of those people, went to mass every Sunday and attended (public) Catholic school. Had no real clue that the Eucharistic was truly the body and blood of the Lord until I was around 18 when I decided to look into it on my own.

I went to a "Catholic" high school and honestly don't remember hearing the term transubstantiation there.  They did teach us a little about the pillars of Islam and Buddhism though.

Ha! they sure did. That was probably most solid content in those classes, anything related to Christianity was super wishy-washy, no substance at all. Pretty sure it was designed to repel truth-seeking teenagers from the faith, certainly did to me!
Well as I am going through RCIA now in the UK I can tell you that wishy washy doesnt even begin to cover it. 

Without the links from this site and others and my intensive research and reading over the last 18 months of various catechisms, books and articles on the authentic Catholic faith I would be in the same boat.

Which begs the question would any leniency be given at the particular judgement to those malformed souls if there was no other opportunity for them to learn the truth?
(02-19-2019, 10:45 PM)MaryTN Wrote: [ -> ]But can you imagine 1/2 of the parents didn't understand the difference between Catholicism and ProtestantismHuh??

Yup, not surprised, which is why they need to speak of it in their homilies. What's worse is those 1/2 very likely also hold many heresies like gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia etc.

If it were left up to the Catholic Education System, I would not be a Catholic today. They've dropped the ball massively (I went to a Catholic School and learned how much of a 'hero' Martin Luther apparently was, had to memorize 3 things which were Papal Bulls, Indulgences and Transubstantiation which were taught as evil corruption), but there isn't much one can do when we are in the hour of darkness, contradicted and shut down at every turn with heretics and imposters like Francis in the Vatican and other heretics being promoted while the faithful are silenced and demoted.

Here's an example, you try to teach the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and your completely undermined and contradicted by the very Reflections of the Gospel in the Mass sheet from these heretics high up in the Church running the show -

https://imgur.com/a/WA7pfnF

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

I even emailed him and just got a fluffy nonsense response, the usual ambiguity from those like Francis which neither confirms nor denies anything.

May God Bless You and Keep You.
(02-20-2019, 02:26 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]I went to a "Catholic" high school and honestly don't remember hearing the term transubstantiation there.  They did teach us a little about the pillars of Islam and Buddhism though.

LOL, same here, but I learned about how Luther was apparently a hero and Transubstantiation was apparently a bad thing, also learned more about the pillars of Islam then Catholicism (Funny they never touched on Sharia Law such as the Death Penalty for leaving etc). The only good thing I remember was one of the teachers fortunately put on the movie 'The Passion of the Christ' by Mel Gibson which had an impact on me and they also gave us a small New Testament and Psalms which I read after id finished high school there. Those 2 things were about the sum total of my "Catholic" education.

They also said "Our Lady of the Rosary, Pray for us" at the start of class, but stopped doing that in the last 2 years of school, we were 'adults' then.

God Bless You
Pages: 1 2