FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Can a Catholic attend Presbyterian baptism/service?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My brother in law who is Protetant is having his daughter baptized during a Presbyterian church service.  It would be during thir Sunday service.  He has invited us.  Is a Catholic allowed to attend this service or would it be sinful?
(02-21-2019, 10:55 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]My brother in law who is Protetant is having his daughter baptized during a Presbyterian church service.  It would be during thir Sunday service.  He has invited us.  Is a Catholic allowed to attend this service or would it be sinful?

No it isn't sinful, but you are always going to have catholics who will say , something of the sort , that it is showing that you are supporting them being protestant, or something like, well they are protestants meaning they protest the catholic church, so why do you want to encourage that. Same bullvine scatology in thinking that if you bake a cake for a gay wedding or attend a homosexual union ( for those not paying attention I didnt use the word marriage for a reason , so put your thinking caps on ) as being sinful.

A lot of people on this forum have a hard time grasping what an opinion or what the word context means and how the two are used. So I tried to be as clear as possible , just a forewarning though havok you will run into the nay sayers. But good grief it is a baptism. Baptisms are just that baptisms nothing more or less, and not any less valid not being baptised by a catholic priest in a catholic church.
As far as I know, as long as it's in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, it should be fine. Converts from Protestantism usually have a valid baptism and thus don't need another one to enter the Church after RCIA.

God Bless You
(02-22-2019, 02:05 AM)Nacho Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2019, 10:55 PM)havok579257 Wrote: [ -> ]My brother in law who is Protetant is having his daughter baptized during a Presbyterian church service.  It would be during thir Sunday service.  He has invited us.  Is a Catholic allowed to attend this service or would it be sinful?

No it isn't sinful, but you are always going to have catholics who will say , something of the sort , that it is showing that you are supporting them being protestant, or something like, well they are protestants meaning they protest the catholic church, so why do you want to encourage that. Same bullvine scatology in thinking that if you bake a cake for a gay wedding or attend a homosexual union ( for those not paying attention I didnt use the word marriage for a reason , so put your thinking caps on ) as being sinful.

A lot of people on this forum have a hard time grasping what an opinion or what the word context means and how the two are used. So I tried to be as clear as possible , just a forewarning though havok you will run into the nay sayers. But good grief it is a baptism. Baptisms are just that baptisms nothing more or less, and not any less valid not being baptised by a catholic priest in a catholic church.
I'll have to take what you say with a grain of salt since your OK forcing a Christian to make something in support of gay marriage.  Since your OK with use of physical force to force Christians to do something they say is sinful.

Not to mention homosexual unions are sinful and the church is against them.  Are you claiming the church is wrong here?
(02-22-2019, 02:05 AM)Nacho Wrote: [ -> ]Same bullvine scatology in thinking that if you bake a cake for a gay wedding or attend a homosexual union ( for those not paying attention I didnt use the word marriage for a reason , so put your thinking caps on ) as being sinful.

As for the wedding cake, if your decorating it with two grooms etc, then that counts as participation and people should absolutely have the right to conscientiously object. As for attending a homosexual 'wedding' this is direct participation since it's a celebratory occasion.

A baptism is also a celebratory occasion, however Protestant Baptisms are normally valid in the Catholic Church also, so as long as it's in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, I think it's fine and good to celebrate it.

God Bless You

I was invited to a Protestant baptism for a family member, and I figure that since the baptism is valid, it would be OK to attend.  Any baptism done by any person (even a non-Christian!) is valid if done with the proper Trinitarian formula and water.  Technically, this means anyone who is baptized is Catholic, but let's keep that to ourselves.  ;-)

It turned out to be a full church service as well, and the biggest thing I came out of it was that they seriously had a pacing problem.  The service was pretty much the same kinds of things we have during the Liturgy of the Word, but it went for a really long time.

Nevertheless, I was happy to support a valid Christian baptism.  

I previously had used the same reasoning to attend their wedding, which is a valid (but not sacramental) marriage.  I think we are allowed to acknowledge those things that Protestants do validly without running the risk of giving credence to those things they do not.
This is a dilemma we’ve all faced.

The reality is that it would seem to be a sin against the 1st Commandment, in that you’re attending a “service” that’s really just a false form of worshipping God.
(02-22-2019, 03:39 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]This is a dilemma we’ve all faced.

The reality is that it would seem to be a sin against the 1st Commandment, in that you’re attending a “service” that’s really just a false form of worshipping God.

So would you apply the same logic to funerals?  So would you say its a sin for a convert Catholic to attend their protestant parents funeral?

It's reasonable to go, provided that 
  • You go to Mass on Sunday (your obligation does not cease and the Protestant service does not fulfill your obligation)
  • You do not actively participate in the service or baptism.
Active participation would be to join in the service by anything more than just standing or sitting. You should not sing along or pray with the Protestants, should not take any role in the service, and at the baptism cannot serve as a godparent/sponsor.

If you need an excuse for not going say you cannot miss Mass. If you need an excuse for why you're not singing along or participating just say, "I'm totally unfamiliar with this ceremony, since I'm a Catholic and we do things much different." You aren't obliged to be a jerk and rub their heresy in their face. If they ask, however, you should point out the differences.

That same reasoning can be used for non-Catholic funerals and weddings. That said, for a wedding, if one party is a 'former" Catholic, or the person is divorced and remarrying, or there are other publicly known impediments which would make the wedding invalid, you must not go.
(02-22-2019, 09:39 AM)josh987654321 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-22-2019, 02:05 AM)Nacho Wrote: [ -> ]Same bullvine scatology in thinking that if you bake a cake for a gay wedding or attend a homosexual union ( for those not paying attention I didnt use the word marriage for a reason , so put your thinking caps on ) as being sinful.

As for the wedding cake, if your decorating it with two grooms etc, then that counts as participation and people should absolutely have the right to conscientiously object. As for attending a homosexual 'wedding' this is direct participation since it's a celebratory occasion.

A baptism is also a celebratory occasion, however Protestant Baptisms are normally valid in the Catholic Church also, so as long as it's in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, I think it's fine and good to celebrate it.

God Bless You

You are allowed for a proportionately serious reason to materially participate in the sin of another, but never to formally participate.

If two homosexuals come in and want a cake for their "wedding" a Catholic baker can make it, so long as it's just the same cake he might make for any wedding. That is material participation. You make a cake and the guy uses it for a bad purpose.

If the baker is asked to write something objectionable or put two male or female figures on the top, that's different. If you favor or promote by your design some evil thing, that's then sinful. Then that's formal participation.

Were I said baker, I would simply say if the words were objectionable, "those words offend me, and if I wouldn't say it, I won't write it on a cake ... you're welcome to a beautiful cake, but I don't write such things on my designs." That's "freedom of speech". If it were figures on the cake I would simply say to all, "figures on the top of cakes are tacky, and I don't do those here." That's an artistic objection and never going to hold up in court.

One can decide he's not materially going to participate, too, but he is not forced to avoid material participation if there is some reason.

Given the likelihood of lawsuits, however, I think a Catholic baker should not take the Fundie approach and should just make beautiful artist cakes. If homosexuals come in for a wedding cake, make it, but not in a way that promotes homosexuality, and explain that you're a baker and artist not a political or social commentator. Better yet, design your own cakes and insist that you get to decide what they look like, and take suggestions only. If they don't like you being the artist, they can go elsewhere. That keeps it an artistic thing and not a religious thing.
Pages: 1 2