FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is most Catholic “blogging” and message board use really just an exercise in pride?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recognize the need to stay informed.  I also recognize the importance of diligent study, and asking questions when you’re confused about a matter.  Offering advice, and receiving advice can also be a nice form of charity and spiritual growth, I think.

But I think a LOT of this stuff is a distraction.  It keeps you from spending more time in silent, contemplative prayer or meditation, or from doing some good study (e.g. Catechisms, Lives of the Saints, etc.).  I think that many of us — certainly myself — have been missing the point of our lives: perfect love for God, and love of neighbour out of love for God.  Our own wills need to be surrendered entirely to God’s Holy Will.  We need to learn to embrace suffering, and use it to grow in virtue and mortification.  Too much blogging and message board activity can easily lead to pride, IMO.
Perhaps I'm picky, but I've ended up going through a lot of blogs, websites, and forums to find a good Catholic home, so to speak. I also do this for news and devotional purposes. I've only found a small segment that I have simultaneously enjoyed and found to be orthodox. Part of my issue comes from this "us vs them" mentality among our own that comes up in posts and comboxes. I get that there are some bad influences and sometimes it's helpful to point out that an author (Fr. Martin, etc) is liberal, but this whole "Moderate vs conservative vs neo-con vs traditional" thing is pointless to me. We are Catholics, period, full stop, end of story. There are plenty of good people on all sides who have found different opinions (which are just that, opinions) with regard to certain issues, and there are some people who want to elevate their opinion as though it's dogma.
Galatians chapter 6 Paul writes of this notion. Thanks FultonFan for your post .
(02-24-2019, 01:51 PM)FultonFan Wrote: [ -> ]I recognize the need to stay informed.  I also recognize the importance of diligent study, and asking questions when you’re confused about a matter.  Offering advice, and receiving advice can also be a nice form of charity and spiritual growth, I think.

But I think a LOT of this stuff is a distraction.  It keeps you from spending more time in silent, contemplative prayer or meditation, or from doing some good study (e.g. Catechisms, Lives of the Saints, etc.).  I think that many of us — certainly myself — have been missing the point of our lives: perfect love for God, and love of neighbour out of love for God.  Our own wills need to be surrendered entirely to God’s Holy Will.  We need to learn to embrace suffering, and use it to grow in virtue and mortification.  Too much blogging and message board activity can easily lead to pride, IMO.

Sometimes people learn by writing.  I know I do.  Writing can lead to study and meditation.  Blogging also has interaction by way of the comments, and that can be helpful to those who feel isolated.  I know a few stay-at-home moms who blog.  Some can handle it.  They learn and offer great insights that they share with others.  Others don't seem to handle it well, as they seem to be fixated on being the center of attention.  I would be careful.  Distinguishing one from the other can be very tricky.  It took me several years to figure that out about some of the ones I know.
blogging / commenting on discussion forums as " prideful "; a major major stretch of the imagination. If that was the case this forum an all catholic forums would have to be shut down.

I just prefer to point out stupidity online where I see it and let people stew over my comments as they sit there hoping I read their retorts and reply while waiting for their net buddies to pat em on the back for a job well done on said retort. Like how some people will read an article and post their own personal comments to said article as if the person who wrote the original article is going to read it, and go, yooooooooooouuuuu ! HOW DARE YOU ! Or as if their comments to an article mean jack squat to anyone but them.

An then the net groupies gather around and go, well I think their opinion matters, I find value in it. Not because they actually do but they need that pat on the back and recognition from others.

Context is key with the seven deadly sins. Religious extremists, theologians, clerics love to twist the context of sin and scripture out of context mostly to suit their own needs and then create a catch 22 that only their interpretations and context matter. IF context didn't matter, then we should all be walking around cursing fig trees and destroying them the moment they don't produce fruit.
(02-27-2019, 10:44 AM)Nacho Wrote: [ -> ]I just prefer to point out stupidity online where I see it and let people stew over my comments as they sit there hoping I read their retorts and reply while waiting for their net buddies to pat em on the back for a job well done on said retort. 
[Image: serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.squa...ca2a0308db]