FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ethical/aesthetic question: what to do with my tattoos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm putting this in "Catholicism" because I want to present myself in a good Catholic fashion.

I have four tattoos and ultimately regret them all. I have one on my wrist, which is currently in the process of being removed with a laser. My second session was today. I have another one in April, once I heal. One tattoo is on my forearm, one is on my upper arm, and a quite large one is on my left lower leg. 

I know that half of them are going to be removed (the wrist and the forearm ones). The question is what to do with the other two. Tall socks and a maxi skirt or pants cover the leg tattoo, and my fiance has expressed an interest in me keeping the upper arm and leg tattoos (he especially likes the upper arm tattoo, which is an owl), although I'm sure he would also support me if I chose to remove them. I just find it odd to be the Catholic who always has a veil and skirt on at Mass having very large "graffiti" behind her sleeve and sock.

Removal is expensive, but a family member has very kindly offered to help me with this, and I received enough money for one session as a birthday gift from my future mother-in-law.

Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to get tattoos. Mea culpa.  Undecided

Any advice?
When I was working, I had to often do head-to-toe full body assessments. I've seen lots of tats. By the time I got to see them, they're often just blobs of ink blots on a person's skin. Unless you do regular mantenance on them, they really look bad with age...course, one could say they look bad when new too, depending on one's viewpoint.

But anyway, you got some, you're getting them removed and that is quite laudable. You apparently were fortunate enough to not get any titanium-based inks in your artwork. These cannot be removed by laser and must be taken off the old fashioned and quite effective method of literally having them scraped off by taking layers of skin off, like with a cheese shredder. Ya, very painful.

Good luck and keep up your good work. You won't be sorry in a few years, for sure.
What exactly (beside the owl) did you get? I have 8 and regret none of them.

I typically find that folks who regret them are impulse shoppers. Not to judge, every story is unique.
(03-01-2019, 05:13 AM)redneckpride4ever Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly (beside the owl) did you get? I have 8 and regret none of them.

I typically find that folks who regret them are impulse shoppers. Not to judge, every story is unique.

I got an anchor and rose on my leg, with a lighthouse design and a diamond at the top, with rope and storms raging around the anchor. I got it after my dad died. None of them are immoral in terms of presentation.

I regret them because I'm trying to present myself in a certain way, and the tattoos get in the way of that. No offense meant to you and your eight. It's just where I'm at with them.
I wouldn't worry about them. I heard someone else once describe his unwanted tattoos as "battle scars." Whatever our past, hopefully we all go to confession and are forgiven. Could you think of your tats as the temporal punishment and offer it up?
Thank you for the support, Zedta. Smile

(03-01-2019, 09:52 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't worry about them. I heard someone else once describe his unwanted tattoos as "battle scars." Whatever our past, hopefully we all go to confession and are forgiven. Could you think of your tats as the temporal punishment and offer it up?

That's a great perspective. I can definitely try to get to that point. Thank you!
If they aren't depicting anything immoral and you like them I would keep em. Don't worry about trying to fit into a traditionalist caricature.
Are tattoos sinful? I was never under the impression that they were, or bad for that matter. But maybe I'm just a gosh darn millennial snowflake.
(03-08-2019, 01:24 PM)Florus Wrote: [ -> ]If they aren't depicting anything immoral and you like them I would keep em. Don't worry about trying to fit into a traditionalist caricature.

Thank you! I found this helpful. Smile

(03-08-2019, 01:55 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: [ -> ]Are tattoos sinful? I was never under the impression that they were, or bad for that matter. But maybe I'm just a gosh darn millennial snowflake.

I have read different responses ranging from, “They’re at least unseemly for a Catholic,” to, “They’re morally neutral; it depends on what you get.” I want to say Fr. Ripperger called them sinful, but not necessary to remove.
(03-08-2019, 01:55 PM)Emblemfan Wrote: [ -> ]Are tattoos sinful? I was never under the impression that they were, or bad for that matter. But maybe I'm just a gosh darn millennial snowflake.

I think it would fall under prudential judgement, personally I wouldn't do it and would advise others against it who may be thinking about it, primarily because they are permanent and as others have said when you get older they will look different lol.

(02-28-2019, 05:11 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]which is currently in the process of being removed with a laser.

How well does it work? completely gone? any scaring or anything? ... Just curious Smile

God Bless You
Pages: 1 2