FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What are you planning to do for Lent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We're interrupting your regularly scheduled biweekly questions to ask you what you're doing for Lent, with Ash Monday (or Wednesday for you non-Easterners!) right around the corner. (Please don't report me I've been waiting for 9 months to say this.)
So you fine people have 3 days to dazzle us with ideas we can steal from you, and then another 20 to keep adding to them and tweaking them. 20 days into Lent, I'll be putting up a new fresh one for a check-up. Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire

As is usual for the Bi-Weekly questions, top comments must be an answer to this. However, there will be no contest mode this time.
May you all have a blessed Lent.
I'm retiring my computer at noon every day unless I have work to do. As far as Lenten reading goes, I was given a daily devotional at Mass on Saturday, so I will be reading that along with the book Eucharistic Miracles by Joan Carroll Cruz. I also have a daily devotional for the lives of the Saints that I will continue to read throughout Lent.
Well, I drifted away from the Church about 4 years ago and recently realized how miserable I was. I started reading the essays on Fisheaters again. I haven't been to Mass yet, as the only options for me out here are Novus Ordo and a Byzantine monastery. I would love to go to the monastery, but it is up in the mountains and we have been walloped with snow, so I have to wait until the roads are better.

Anyway, after reading about Lenten customs here, I find I am so excited for Lent! When my daughter was young, we would make all those recipes that Vox put up. It really enriched our liturgical year. Thanks Vox for all you have done here! So for Lent as well as fasting, I am going to make the wonderful recipes like pretzels and Pasta di San Giuse! I love all the different cultural ways to express our Faith!

I downloaded the Liturgical Year to read daily and I am also going be trying to keep up a daily prayer life that is not too overwhelming. After many years of nothing, I find I have to remind myself to pray.
(03-04-2019, 08:19 PM)ritaguadalupe93 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I drifted away from the Church about 4 years ago and recently realized how miserable I was. I started reading the essays on Fisheaters again. I haven't been to Mass yet, as the only options for me out here are Novus Ordo and a Byzantine monastery. I would love to go to the monastery, but it is up in the mountains and we have been walloped with snow, so I have to wait until the roads are better.

Are you avoiding the NO in your area because it's been taken over by liberal progressives? The Mass is (presumably) valid. It would be better for you if you started attending Mass, regardless of rite. I don't know if you've been to Confession yet, but that applies as well. It would be better for you to go to Confession soon, even if you hear, "Well, that isn't really a sin..." or, "You're being too hard on yourself," or some kind of psychobabble. That doesn't undo the priest's absolution.

God bless you, Rita.
Thank you, In His Love for your kind words. I'm just not quite to the point of being able to make a good confession. My present circumstances are not favorable to true contrition. It's a work in progress. I don't have a problem with confessing to a N.O. priest, but I am trying to stay away from the N.O. if I have another option.

Interestingly, the Byzantine monks moved out here around the same time I moved here, about two years ago. Next week the roads will finally be safe enough to go to Mass. Smile
Daily: 

1. Wake up at 5:30am 
  2. Morning: Lauds  from Monastic Diurnal 
  3. Morning: Missal/Pius Parsch Book/Liturgical Year 
  4. Noon: Angelus 
  5. Afternoon/Evening: Vespers  from Monastic Diurnal 
  6. Night: Read Gospel of Day and say prayer over the people with the girls 
  7. Night: Compline from Monastic Diurnal 
[size=undefined]
 [/size]

Penance: 
  1. Limit radio in car (listen to religious cds, Rosary)  
  2. No Afternoon Coffee 
  3. No desserts  
  4. No flavored water 
  5. No beer/wine 
  6. No chips/queso 
  7. No eating out except on Sundays  
  8. No internet/email on Sunday 
  9. No Feedly on Wednesday and Friday 
Going vegetarian, reading through the Ladder of Divine Ascent.
1962 fasting & abstinence, daily rosary & devotional prayers (I’m naturally very resistant to routine, so this is going to be difficult for me), & no Facebook.
(03-07-2019, 09:03 AM)Bryan M. M. Reynolds Wrote: [ -> ]1962 fasting & abstinence, daily rosary & devotional prayers (I’m naturally very resistant to routine, so this is going to be difficult for me), & no Facebook.

I too have a similar problem with sticking to routines, so most of my Lenten penances involve trying to improve this. I am waking up an hour earlier every day, starting every morning with prayer with the little ones. I am also making myself stick to a consistent bedtime. I have a bad habit of letting my personal relaxation time drag on way too late after the kiddos are in bed.
Pages: 1 2