FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 5 hymns you would strip from hymnals if you could
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My fiance and I received paperwork recently for the Sacrament of Matrimony. Two of the stapled paper sets are of hymns. Now, I'm at a wonderful and reverent, "smells and bells" OF parish, and the hymns are mostly solid, from what I've seen. We can choose Ave Maria as our Communion Hymn, which is amazing. But there is one hymn listed that I begged my fiance not to incorporate into our wedding, so here you go. Here's a spin-off thread for that sort of thing.  :D

So let's say you received authority to edit the hymnals in parishes worldwide. Which five hymns would you remove? Bonus points to you if you explain why you don't like them.

1. Sing a New Song. This is the hymn I begged my fiance not to incorporate. Once you've heard this song off-key and/or with guitars, you lose an innocence you can never recover. I wasn't at a parish where this was done, to my knowledge, but I saw and heard it online, and that was enough. Even with our organ at our parish, the saccharine melody just loses me.

2. Gather Us In. "Gather us in, the ____ and the ____, gather us in, the ____ and the ____..." us, us, us, us, us. Mass is about God, not the "assembly."

3. Lord of the Dance. The parish I used to attend used this as a closing hymn for Easter Mass one year. 

4. All Are Welcome. The melody sounds like it was written for Kindergarten students. 

5. We Are Marching in the Light of God. There was a parish I used to attend when my sleep was thrown off because their Saturday Mass was at 7 p.m., and sometimes this was sung there. For those of you who are unfamiliar, part of this hymn is in Zulu. Latin was dropped from all sorts of parishes, but this super Woodstock parish in Canada is singing in Zulu.
In no particular order:

- Table of Plenty

- On Eagle's Wings

- You already hit Sing a New Song and Gather Us In.

- I'll say anything that sounds like it was written by Gordon Lightfoot.

- Anything meant to be "accompanied" by a guitar.
(03-08-2019, 12:02 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]- Anything meant to be "accompanied" by a guitar.

I would accompany the guitar to the trash heap.  :D
(03-08-2019, 12:06 PM)In His Love Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2019, 12:02 PM)Jeeter Wrote: [ -> ]- Anything meant to be "accompanied" by a guitar.

I would accompany the guitar to the trash heap.  :D

How rigid. :P

I forgot "They'll Know We Are Christians" and "Here I am Lord," although I suppose that falls under the Gordon Lightfoot category.
I realize that this doesn't directly answer in the desired fashion, but I'd strip everything from Marty Haugen (a Lutheran), Daniel Schutte (How does his setting of the Gloria for NO not break copyright on My Little Pony?). I would likewise remove Amazing Grace (truly antithetical protestant version of grace, not at all Catholic).

But Jeeter, I'd retune the guitar to DADGAD, and play it at home. ;)
Gift Of Finest Wheat is pretty bad.
(03-08-2019, 12:42 PM)dahveed Wrote: [ -> ]I realize that this doesn't directly answer in the desired fashion, but I'd strip everything from Marty Haugen (a Lutheran), Daniel Schutte (How does his setting of the Gloria for NO not break copyright on My Little Pony?). I would likewise remove Amazing Grace (truly antithetical protestant version of grace, not at all Catholic).

But Jeeter, I'd retune the guitar to DADGAD, and play it at home. ;)

How on earth did I forget Amazing Grace? Yes, I'd get rid of that one, too.
Just throw out all of the hymns from the last 50 years.
Amazing Grace is probably the most recognizable English Christian song in the world, but it's so Protestant. I'd be so happy if I never heard it in a Catholic Church again.
(03-08-2019, 09:28 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]Amazing Grace is probably the most recognizable English Christian song in the world, but it's so Protestant. I'd be so happy if I never heard it in a Catholic Church again.

But you can sing it to the tune of the theme of Gilligan's Island.
Pages: 1 2 3