FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why are priests calling old fasting rules "Phariseeism?"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought a Pharisee was someone who followed the letter of the law while missing the intent. Somehow Pharisee has come to mean anyone who follows any sort of rule.
Today in a homily a priest was saying how great things are now that the church isn't full of Pharisees. He gave a weird example of having strictly defined times in the past of when you had to arrive at mass to meet your Sunday obligation.
I find rules are good for the people who are super lax - these people are the actual Pharisees. There are so many Catholics who want to do the absolute bare minimum, so they look at the letter of the law and just do that and no more (e.g. only going to confession at the annual service, showing up just at the consecration, etc.). Then they have the nerve to call other people Pharisees who try to have a more pious life by intentionally wanting to incorporate plenary indulgences in their life. It seems people are discouraging personal piety in order to prop up their own weak piety.
Not only do they more so qualify as Pharisees, they bare the unique distinction of being internal schismatics.

At least the ones who attempt to discredit practitioners of older and stricter practices qualify for said description.
(03-09-2019, 03:45 AM)viprit Wrote: [ -> ] It seems people are discouraging personal piety in order to prop up their own weak piety.

Bingo. I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.

It's good to aspire to do more. Not for egotistical purposes, but to try to show Him that, in our own small way, we want to show our love for Him through our sacrifices.
Our Lord didn't attack the Pharisees for sticking to the law, he attacked them because they followed the rules with any regard/love for Him who instituted said rules.
(03-09-2019, 03:45 AM)viprit Wrote: [ -> ]I thought a Pharisee was someone who followed the letter of the law while missing the intent. Somehow Pharisee has come to mean anyone who follows any sort of rule.

Particularly those who think the getting rid of all the rules in the 1960s was a bad thing. But 'Pharisee' can only apply to Catholics. You can't call actual Pharisees (that is, modern Jews) Pharisees, because, you know, Hitler.