FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Benevacantism, Etc.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12-15-2021, 02:49 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Benedict XVI can renounce his reununciation of the Petrine office and come back?
Bit of a problem in that we already have a Pope. Unless Pope Emeritus wants to shed some new light on the matter.
(12-15-2021, 06:50 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-15-2021, 02:49 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Benedict XVI can renounce his reununciation of the Petrine office and come back?
Bit of a problem in that we already have a Pope. Unless Pope Emeritus wants to shed some new light on the matter.

May not be Pope for long.  Pope Francis is rumored to be in bad health and close to dying. 

Then again, even if Pope Francis died, the Collective won't let him return.
Then there's the other issue: If Benedict XVI resigned/abdicated/renounced the Chair of Peter thanks to the pressure of the wolves, he basically ran from the wolves like a hired hand instead of being a true shepherd. If this is the case, then there is no Benevacantism.
(12-20-2021, 12:24 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]If this is the case, then there is no Benevacantism.

False.

Being a coward ≠ automatic loss of papacy.
(12-20-2021, 12:24 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]... If Benedict XVI resigned/abdicated/renounced the Chair of Peter thanks to the pressure of the wolves....

^---Just another way of saying, "...made out of grave fear...."

In that regard, see Can. 188: "A resignation made out of grave fear that is inflicted unjustly or out of malice, substantial error, or simony is invalid by the law itself."
(12-20-2021, 05:45 PM)Bonaventure Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2021, 12:24 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]If this is the case, then there is no Benevacantism.

False.

Being a coward ≠ automatic loss of papacy.

Being a coward = not a true shepherd.
(12-20-2021, 09:02 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Being a coward = not a true shepherd.

Not according to Can. 188, which specifically anticipated such situations.

Next.
Miller’s Dissertation: The Key to Unlocking Benedict’s Incomplete Resignation

An excerpt:

Quote:The reason most Catholics and the rest of the world incorrectly assume Pope Benedict XVI resigned the Papacy in February 2013 is because they do not view his attempted resignation through the prism of the Nouvelle théologie, which is necessary to understand what really was going on.

What’s becoming more and more clear to me every single day is that this debacle that Pope Benedict XVI caused in February 2013 when he erroneously attempted to resign only his “active” role in the Papacy, while remaining in a “passive” or “contemplative” role, is 100% a product of the Modernist theological errors and the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II).

One of the most important keys, almost a Rosetta Stone so to speak, to understanding both the mind and text of Pope Benedict’s attempted resignation in February 2013, and why he remains the current Pope to this day, can be found in Archbishop J. Michael Miller’s 1980 dissertation penned for the Gregorian University in Rome. He is now the Archbishop of Vancouver. ...

... After I read it, my mind was blown away. Because this is so important to understanding why Benedict and not Antipope Bergoglio (Francis) is Pope to this day, I will summarize the contents of the Miller dissertation for the reader but with sufficient detail so you understand the full context to what can best be described as a summary of Modernist thought concerning the Papacy.

I will do my best to objectively summarize the material and refrain from making personal comments throughout the summary. However, I will tie Miller’s conclusions back to Benedict’s actions in February 2013 after the summary so you can see why this is so relevant and important. Before I begin the summary, keep the following in mind:

When Pope Benedict attempted to resign a portion of the Papacy, he made an effort to distinguish between a Papal office (Munus) and ministry (Ministerium). While some commentators said this is not a big deal because of the multiple/ambiguous meanings associated with these Latin terms Benedict used, after you understand the Miller dissertation, it becomes obvious that Benedict was not just being lazy and sloppy with his terminology in his resignation speech. He actually chose his words very carefully.

When he could have just said “I hereby resign the Office of the Papacy in its entirety with all its rights and privileges effective immediately,” he chose not to do that. The Miller dissertation explains the WHAT and the WHY behind what Benedict was doing in February 2013, at least theologically.