FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fasting question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I follow the 3 hour Eucharistic fast, which (if I read right) say: no food all 3 hours, no alcohic drinks for the first 2 hours, water only the last hour.

I must ask...since I am a heavy coffee drinker (and when driving in the morning I literally use it as a safety precaution) would it be okay to drink caffeinated water if I were driving over an hour to get to the nearest TLM?
(03-11-2019, 08:12 PM)redneckpride4ever Wrote: [ -> ]I follow the 3 hour Eucharistic fast, which (if I read right) say: no food all 3 hours, no alcohic drinks for the first 2 hours, water only the last hour.

I must ask...since I am a heavy coffee drinker (and when driving in the morning I literally use it as a safety precaution) would it be okay to drink caffeinated water if I were driving over an hour to get to the nearest TLM?

The pre-Vatican II 3-hour fast (which is not traditional, since before the 1950s, when evening Masses were not allowed the fast was from midnight), is from Communion, except for the priest. For the priest it is from the start of Mass.

That means you can eat or drink alcohol up to 3 hours before communion. It also means you can drink coffee up to an hour before you communion. At a Sung or Solemn Mass with a 15 minute sermon that would mean you can probably drink a cup of joe up to about 20-30 minutes before Mass starts. If the priest is long-winded, you might be able to walk into the church mug in hand.

As a note, it's good to keep this fast, but if it means omitting Communion, I've been told by traditional priests that it's probably better to receive if the present law allows and you're otherwise prepared. That law is 1 hour from Communion for everything. Try to force yourself to follow the older law, but if you cannot on certain occasions then follow the new.