FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: When no one understands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I’m sure most of you have been following my pathetic little story in these forums. I really appreciate all the help you have offered me.  I don’t know where I would go for help if I did not have this forum. 

My fiancé will be leaving for Texas at the end of this month and then coming back up to the Midwest to get me so we can get married and then go down to Texas together. As some of you know, I was engaged before, and the man left me six weeks before our wedding. It would be an understatement to say that that scarred me for life. I now suffer from extreme separation anxiety  as well as fear that I will lose my new fiancé just as I lost my old one. 

My fiancé is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, and I am so afraid that I will lose him. Every day, I am tormented with thoughts that something will happen to him before we can get married. He is in the horse industry, so injuries can happen,  sometimes even fatal ones.  The month he will be down in Texas before our wedding day will be absolutely unbearable for me. I don’t think anyone in my family or any of my friends can understand what absolute torment this will be for me. I am afraid I will have a nervous break down the day he leaves. I am afraid I will never see him again. I am afraid something horrible will happen and I will not be there to help. 

I mentioned getting married earlier to my parents, and they were very much against it. So I do not think that we will do it because I do not want to displease them, and they are doing so much to help me get this wedding ready  that I feel very guilty disobeying them.  They tell me that I am just being an irrational fool, and that I owe it to all of our wedding guests (who are now coming for the second time to a wedding of mine )  to have  a real ceremony  and exchange our vows in front of them.  They think I am being ridiculous for fearing that something will happen between my fiancé and our female apprentice that he will be living with  before I come down there. Etc. Etc. 

I am so turned around, so confused, and now I feel even more abandoned, because no one understands the mental anguish I am enduring.
(03-19-2019, 10:07 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: [ -> ]As some of you know, I was engaged before, and the man left me six weeks before our wedding. It would be an understatement to say that that scarred me for life. I now suffer from extreme separation anxiety  as well as fear that I will lose my new fiancé just as I lost my old one.

Do you know or have some insights into why the first one left 6 weeks before the wedding? It doesn't randomly happen for no reason at all, you talk about marriage and they'll give off signs and indications and if it was purely random then they would show those characteristics beforehand in other important matters. Are they Catholic and believe in 'till death do they part'?

(03-19-2019, 10:07 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: [ -> ]My fiancé is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, and I am so afraid that I will lose him. Every day, I am tormented with thoughts that something will happen to him before we can get married.

Depends what you mean by 'lose him' because the former makes it sound like he might get cold feet and here it sounds like he might injure himself which would just postpone it unless he dies in which case him, you or I could die any day, 'Jesus I Trust In You'

(03-19-2019, 10:07 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: [ -> ]I mentioned getting married earlier to my parents, and they were very much against it.

Did they say why? Do they get bad vibes from this man or something? Are your parents also Catholic and believe in 'till death do they part'?

(03-19-2019, 10:07 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: [ -> ]I am so turned around, so confused, and now I feel even more abandoned, because no one understands the mental anguish I am enduring.

Calm yourself with prayer, unpack it and try to think logically and prudently.

God Bless You
Six weeks is 42 days. 

It's only 12 days off a 54-day Rosary Novena.

Start today, pray a Rosary a day, or if you can all 15 decades each day for the next 54 days for his safety and all of the graces each of you need and, if it be God's will, the start to a good marriage.

In the meantime take up some good reading on marriage to prepare yourself, like Fulton Sheen's Three to Get Married, or the various addressed of Pius XII on marriage (compiled in the book Dear Newlyweds).

Take the time to prepare well and focus on using this time to do this, and you'll be doing the best and really only thing that matters right now.

Stop back here when you need support. Try to find some other outlets, too, but while you know we can be tough on you here, of course, but it's because we want what's best for you. Clearly you've grown a lot since you started posting here. Keep going and growing.
SacraCor,

How are you doing? I hope things are better. You are in our prayers.
Stay busy but stay in touch with him as often as you can with phone calls, Skype, etc. Sometimes quiet can be an enemy, as it lets the mind wander into pessimistic thoughts. Make plans with friends and family to stay active. Set up outings with friends maybe 2-3 weeks out...before you know it, the day arrives and you're another 14 - 21 days closer to seeing your fiancee again. I used to be in the Navy and would be away from family for months at a time, so I know it's difficult. But staying busy and active really helps.