FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop Athanasisus Schneider: On the Question of a Heretical Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From
One Peter Five

Excerpt:

Quote:The theory or theological opinion allowing the deposition of a heretical pope or the loss of his office ipso facto because of heresy is in practice unworkable. If it were applied in practice, it would create a situation similar to that of the Great Schism, which the Church already experienced disastrously at the end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th centuries. Indeed, there will be always a part of the Cardinals’ college and a considerable part of the world’s episcopate and also of the faithful who will not agree in classifying a concrete Papal error (errors) as formal heresy (heresies) and consequently they will therefore continue to consider the current pope as the only legitimate pope.
Quote:The theory or theological opinion allowing the deposition of a heretical pope or the loss of his office ipso facto because of heresy is in practice unworkable.

I agree, but in this instance, there is also Pope Benedict who is still alive, so it's not just this. I will have to wait and see what happens. This is why I disagree with those like I think Church Militant who would like to see Francis 'resign'. He is either Pope or not IMO, and based on this there shouldn't be anything like resignations because we don't like who he is or what he is doing or saying.

God Bless You
(03-23-2019, 06:35 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, but in this instance, there is also Pope Benedict who is still alive, so it's not just this.

Actually, it is just this.

That a former Pope (who personally rejects that he is still Pope) is still alive has nothing to do with the question.
(03-24-2019, 04:58 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: [ -> ]That a former Pope (who personally rejects that he is still Pope) is still alive has nothing to do with the question.

We'll wait and see. ;)

God Bless You
I thoroughly enjoyed Bishop Schneider's article and think it has much of importance to offer even beyond the debate as to whether Cardinals and Bishops have the authority to depose a pope or to declare that a pope has lost his office.

The historical information Schneider relates regarding Pope Honorius being referred to as a heretic in the Divine Office and his being anathematized by Pope St. Leo II is good to have knowledge of as no one of any weight has denied that Honorius was a true pope. Sedevacantists often talk as if it were impossible for a true pope to be a heretic, but for centuries thousands of clerics read in their breviaries that Pope Honorius was a heretic and little issue was made of it. The post-conciliar popes have certainly been worse than Honorius in degree, but in kind they are the same and that is all that is relevant when it comes to the sedevacantist debate.

I and a few other posters on this forum have argued in the past that Pope Paul VI did not have the authority to create a new rite of Mass and Bishop Schneider includes several quotes in his article that support our contention. He quotes the following from the Ecumenical Council of Constance:

Quote:"Since the Roman Pontiff exercises such great power among mortals, it is right that he be bound all the more by the incontrovertible bonds of the faith and by the rites that are to be observed regarding the church’s sacraments. We therefore decree and ordain..."

Shneider also relates the story of how Pius IX responded to the persons who were requesting that he change the Canon of the Mass by adding St. Joseph's name, "I cannot do this. I am only the Pope!"

I only pray that in the future Bishop Schneider will reference the dogma defined at Trent which is more explicit on the issue and undoubtedly infallible:
Quote:If anyone says that the received and approved rites of the Catholic Church, accustomed to be used in the administration of the sacraments, may be despised or omitted by the ministers without sin and at their pleasure, or may be changed by any pastor of the churches, whomsoever, to other new ones, let him be anathema. Council of Trent, Session VII, On the Sacraments, Canon 13)